MagXact MX100L or MX200L LCD

Dlloyd

Registered
Registered
I am trying to decide if I should get the MX100L or the MX200L LCD DRO for my lathe.
what are the difference between the two.

One is a standard numerical display vs the other is a LCD (graphical display), also the MX200L is a touch screen and has soft keys as opposed to fixed push buttons on the MX100L. Personally I find the graphical displays to be much easier on the eyes, and work better if you have sunny/shade on the display. Downside of the touch keypads is they work less optimally with greasy/wet fingers. I have the EL700 which is the previous version of the EL750 which is the same as the MX200L, I put a protective touch screen over the whole display. You can buy them for different touch pads, and put them to fit the display, less worry of damaging the display and easily replaceable. There is also a less expensive graphical display with glass scales. Lathe DRO for 2 axis is quite basic, often do not use a lot of the other DRO features. Also, DRO's with soft keys can be programmed for different types of machines and the soft keys (typically on the bottom under the screen) will change functions depending on the machine specified.

I await the day when I can simply announce “Hey Siri - zero out the DRO X-axis” or “Hey Google - give me DRO coordinates for a 5-position bolt circle with 145 millimeter diameter”, or “Alexa, tell the DRO to recalibrate for a fresh insert in the Sandvik parting tool - and cycle the one-shot oiler.” :)

I await the day when I can simply announce “Hey Siri - zero out the DRO X-axis” or “Hey Google - give me DRO coordinates for a 5-position bolt circle with 145 millimeter diameter”, or “Alexa, tell the DRO to recalibrate for a fresh insert in the Sandvik parting tool - and cycle the one-shot oiler.” :)
That would be so cool!
Four years ago, Recovering from my back surgery (Ruptured L4,L5 Disc), I installed an echo dot in virtually each room, a Z-wave hub and replaced every switch and dimmer in the house with smart-devices. We haven't touched a light-switch since, even the pool, deck and workshop's outfitted now, we speak to our house all the time.:D

One is a standard numerical display vs the other is a LCD (graphical display), also the MX200L is a touch screen and has soft keys as opposed to fixed push buttons on the MX100L. Personally I find the graphical displays to be much easier on the eyes, and work better if you have sunny/shade on the display. Downside of the touch keypads is they work less optimally with greasy/wet fingers. I have the EL700 which is the previous version of the EL750 which is the same as the MX200L, I put a protective touch screen over the whole display. You can buy them for different touch pads, and put them to fit the display, less worry of damaging the display and easily replaceable. There is also a less expensive graphical display with glass scales. Lathe DRO for 2 axis is quite basic, often do not use a lot of the other DRO features. Also, DRO's with soft keys can be programmed for different types of machines and the soft keys (typically on the bottom under the screen) will change functions depending on the machine specified.
I ordered the PM 3-axis LCD kit with glass scales with my 935 mill, but used this display instead, which I got for $100 on Amazon. I really like this display, there's an "alarm" which can be set, I've got mine setup to change the display text to red when I'm within +/- 0.0002 of Zero.
DRO Alarm Feature.jpg

Disp1.jpg

Please explain the advantages of tha LCD display for a lathe.

Easier to see and less eye strain, graphical interface can be reconfigured in different ways so on my lathe ES-12B display the diameter mode is shown in a different color, and the display Cletus has changes the number changes color as one gets to 0. Mine has a moving bar, some will show feed rates as well as other information. Straight numerical displays do not typically show this information and the green numbers are often not bright enough in sunlight. Graphical displays, in particular on the mill show much more information, such as bolt locations and each hole imaging as you move from hole to hole, and the soft keys change their functions. There have also been some complaints about the push buttons on the EL400/MX100L style displays, vs the sealed membrane type switches. One of the considerations of buying from a mainstream dealer for DRO's is support and warranty. There has also been some issues with off brand magnetic scales as to resolution/accuracy. I purchased my lathe DRO from PM/QMT and a while later after I did the install I was having resolution issues with my cross slide accuracy, when I checked the scale they shipped a 5 micron scale instead of 1 micron. They shipped out a replacement 1 micron at no charge. If it had been Amazon or Aliexpress I doubt that it would have been taken care of.

I would suggest looking at the manuals for the different DRO's that show you the difference and the display/key functions.

Graphical Display vs Older Numeric
Numerical vs. Graphical Display.jpg

David,
I await the day when I can simply announce “Hey Siri - zero out the DRO X-axis”

There is your problem.... You are talking to Siri and Google when you should be talking to your lathe.... " Hey PM1340GT, ......." Doesn't everyone talk to their lathe .... sometimes in unkind terms...

dro pros.com has a wealth of info. el700 is same as the magxact 200 from precision mattehws

Heheee

Back