MagXact DRO for PM-833T

Hi Craig,
I am doing mental installs in my head, but not having the parts available is a bit challenging. I think it will make more sense once the unit arrives. I also don't have power feed and their associated limit stops on any axis, so the DRO install needs to be planned carefully to allow for future install of power feed. I think it would be nice to have both DRO scale and power feed limit stops installed on the same side. It seems that this will simplify the cable management to some extend. Thanks for the pictures.

Hi Rhizome,

I think it will be more work for you to install the DRO and limit stops on the same side as you will need riser blocks to bring either the DRO or the limit stops up from the surface. I haven't had any issues with the cable management with the way I've installed it. I haven't had the mill long, but I would be very surprised if it became a problem. Feel free to shoot me a message if you want more pictures of how I installed everything.

cheers,
Craig

Hi,
Has anyone installed the MagXact DRO for a PM-833T? I think it is a new item from PM, so there isn't much information on it on the website. I am hoping for some end-user feed back as to the pros and cons vs. other DRO such as DROPro, etc.
I just received my PM833TV and opted for PM to install the DRO. They install the scales and readers, but the head is an exercise left to the reader. My question is where is a good place to install the head on the machine? I am cautiously setting up the machine and this seems like a good next step.

Which encoder head are you talking about. X, Y, or Z?

Never mind. You mean the display unit. Sorry.

Shortly after I wrote this I decided to put on my big boy pants and try and figure it out myself. Looking at a bunch of mills on the interwebs I saw most seemed to install the display unit on the right side of the mill. I went to the shop and started the figure out where I would give it a try. Lo and behold I found two screws exactly where I wanted to put the display arm that were positioned exactly the right distance for the display arm mounting bracket. Apparently PM/QMT had prepped the machine for the display unit after all.

20210326_192936 (2).jpg

Rodneyk, can you post more close-up pictures of how PM installed the MagXact DRO? I ordered it a week or so back. I am awaiting shipment and have been mentally planning the installation. Having some pictures of PM's installation for reference would be helpful. Thanks!

Hi Rhizome,

I think it will be more work for you to install the DRO and limit stops on the same side as you will need riser blocks to bring either the DRO or the limit stops up from the surface. I haven't had any issues with the cable management with the way I've installed it. I haven't had the mill long, but I would be very surprised if it became a problem. Feel free to shoot me a message if you want more pictures of how I installed everything.

cheers,
Craig
I know the post above was in 21 but I was wondering if you can post some pics on how you installed the x axis scale and reader. I will be working on my install of a dro this month. Also any thoughts on the order of install I was going to do x first.

Back