MagXact DRO for PM-833T

Rhizome

Registered
Registered
Hi,
Has anyone installed the MagXact DRO for a PM-833T? I think it is a new item from PM, so there isn't much information on it on the website. I am hoping for some end-user feed back as to the pros and cons vs. other DRO such as DROPro, etc.
Thanks!

I have the MagXact from PM on my PM 11440TL Lathe. I don't think the install should be any different than their other models. The difference with the MagXact is the scales are magnetic instead of glass scales. This makes them less susceptible to getting dirty, so lower maintenance. As far as I know that is the key difference. I have a Newell with mag scales on my mill as well, they use a little different technology in their mag scales but low maintenance is essentially the key benefit.

Last edited:
I should be receiving my PM-833TV with the MagXact DRO hopefully in the next week or two. It’s my first machine and I have a learning curve ahead, but I’ll give me initial impressions once I receive it.

This is the PM DRO head:

C49F1AEA-2328-4F78-B986-117339A6FBBA.jpeg

This is the DROPros EL400. Looks identical me except the color:

645B703A-BEF0-40E4-84B7-6363D0365550.jpeg

my guess is they are the same units. Made by this outfit

I would agree with David. I just looked at the owners manual for mine and it has EL 400 DRO in the top right of every page.

PM’s pricing and warranty are better than DROPros for the same units. DROPros claim to fame is support, and they do post extensive (boring) videos on installation on their web site. But PM is also known for excellent support.

I have the EL400 on my PM-1340 lathe and it is functional. Nothing particularly exceptional about it beyond the fact that it has magnetic scales with sufficiently high resolution on the cross slide - 2 tenths. What it lacks, that my $2,500 Newall DRO on my PM-935 has, is a feed rate display which I find critical on the mill because I work with difficult materials.

Hi,
Has anyone installed the MagXact DRO for a PM-833T? I think it is a new item from PM, so there isn't much information on it on the website. I am hoping for some end-user feed back as to the pros and cons vs. other DRO such as DROPro, etc.
Thanks!
I installed the MagXact DRO on my PM-833TV the other week.

X Axis
Fairly straight forward... I was able to use one of the supplied brackets that came with the DRO. Installed on the back side of the table. Cover went on no problem.

Y Axis
I milled a temporary piece to couple with one of the supplied brackets. It's functional, but not final because the current setup will not allow me to install the alumunium cover piece to keep chips off the scale. I will have to mill a custom bracket for this. I instaled this on the right side of the base of the machine.

Z Axis
For the Z axis I had to mill a custom bracket. I installed this on the left side of the head. The manual seems to show the Z-axis power feed limit stops installed on the left side of the head, but in my opinion this was the best place for the DRO scale to be mounted. So I installed the DRO scale on the left side and I mounted the Z power feed limit stops on the right side. I had to open up the limit stop switch and flip the switches around because the switch was meant to be installed on the left. Installing it on the right means the switch is flipped upside down, causing the thing to operate backwards. It was easy to open the switch box and flip the two internal switches around so it functioned correctly on the right side of the machine.

1616386578775.png

1616386926642.png

1616386428917.png

(I believe this picture was taken after I had taken the two switches out and flipped them around... that is the switch on the bottom became the switch on the top and vice versa)

1616386485546.png

cheers,
Craig

Thanks everyone for your input. This will be my first DRO. I will be doing the installation myself and am looking forward to it. How does everyone manage all the cables and wires that run around everywhere? Craig's picture of the Z-axis scale shows a black cable that comes out of the switch. Doesn't that get in the way of milling operation?

David, is the feed rate a necessary feature for milling stainless steel? I looked at your Newall DRO install for your mill and read a bit about their scale technology. Was $2500 the cost of the whole package or just the DRO display (minus the scales)? I have plan to work with stainless steel in the future.

Thanks everyone for your input. This will be my first DRO. I will be doing the installation myself and am looking forward to it. How does everyone manage all the cables and wires that run around everywhere? Craig's picture of the Z-axis scale shows a black cable that comes out of the switch. Doesn't that get in the way of milling operation?

David, is the feed rate a necessary feature for milling stainless steel? I looked at your Newall DRO install for your mill and read a bit about their scale technology. Was $2500 the cost of the whole package or just the DRO display (minus the scales)? I have plan to work with stainless steel in the future.

I have used Newall DRO’s on several machines and have come to know they are true industrial quality. I also like their scale mounting system which is far easier to install than the usual kit of plates/adapters/jack-screws found with the alternatives. <end of bias blast> LOL

I went all out with my 935 DRO with 5 micron Microsyn scales on all axis - complete overkill. The $2,500 figure included the three scales and encoder along with the DP700 display - it was a complete kit custom configured to my specs. A 3-axis Newall DP700 kit with 10micron scales is ~$1,900. Newall has an entry-level product that is competitively priced against DROPros called the NMS200/300 ($850-$1200) but it lacks the feed rate display function found on the DP700. Good sourcing/pricing for Newall is https://www.machinetoolproducts.com/digital-readouts/dro-kits/

Although the Newall scales are superior to magnetic in terms of imperviousness to solvent and coolant/oil contamination, their highest resolution scale is 5 microns, and not accurate enough for the tolerances I’m after on the lathe cross slide. If you want to hit tenths accuracy on diameters, you need 1um scales on the cross slide, which is why I went with DROPro’s EL400. The EL400 display I consider “consumer” quality in comparison to the Newall DP700.

As to your question on milling stainless, the most important thing is consistent feed rates. So having a power feeder will give you far better feed consistency than hand cranking the table feed. This is also the reason I power feed the cross slide when parting off stainless down to about 4mm diameter, then I switch to very slow manual feed since the SFM is too low for the slowest powered cross feed. Stainless has a nasty tendency crawl/hop up on top of the parting tool if SFM drops too low, and makes a mess of the parting tool, fracturing the inset and mangling your part. (At 1/4” diameter, you need over 2000 RPM to hit minimum stainless parting SFM)

Having a feed rate display on the mill is helpful with stainless or any hard alloy, but it isn’t nearly as important as consistent feed rates, and once you get some experience, you will instinctively know how fast or slow is too much for a given cutting tool. Limiting the types/sizes of end mills helps in applying your learned experiences. If you have a feed rate display, it’s easier to just dial in the power feeder to the Feed/Speeds calculator values since none of the power feeders have anything close to a calibrated dial or linear rate changes when you turn the feeder speed knob, but it isn’t an absolute requirement to mill stainless.

I'm not quite sure which picture you are referring to? The first and second pictures show the Z axis scale. The black cable you see there is the power to the spindle control box/motor. That's how it came routed with the machine and doesn't present any issues. The last two pictures are the limit stop switch for the Z axis power feed. This has no presented any issues whatsoever, but I do not have much time on the machine yet. I don't see it being a problem either.

Back