Made my first part! Warning: this is not going to be exciting

Alaskanrocket

Registered
Registered
Well thanks to the encouragement from everyone in my last post I decided to try and make a new bushing for the wobbly idler gear.
I started with 1" brass hex stock and got measurements.
12.jpg13.jpg
I don't have an indicator yet I looked for one in town today but they all seemed like junk so i'll probably get a Starrett or something on the net, anyways I just eyeballed it to get center and got it really close anyways.
5.jpg4.jpg
After I got it faced off and turned down to the proper O.D. I found I went just a hair under so I decided to knurl it to take up the space between the bushing and gear.
3.jpg
After that I used a counter sink to center the tailstock and had to shim with a piece of paper under the tailstock to get the right height. Centering was pretty easy for the most part.
1.jpg2.jpg
I then continued to step up drills until I got to my 7/16" bit.
11.jpg9.jpg
Now the next part was kind of a goat rodeo since I don't have a boring setup yet, I didn't take pictures of what I used, it wasn't safe nor very effective. I got it done and that was that.
8.jpg
The fit on both sides was quite nice I had to tap the bushing in with a hammer and shaft to bushing fit had a tiny amount of slop but better than all the other gears in there so I was happy.
7.jpg6.jpg

Thanks again everyone, Jess

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg

Nice job, Jess! Thanks for sharing a first project and showing that there are multiple ways to overcome problems, such as using a knurl to take care of an undersized diameter issue.

Sorry, you're wrong!

Any time there are chips flying, I/we find it interesting/exciting!

Like Terry said, Nice work and way to find a way to get around a little miss cut!

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome Jess,
Well thanks to the encouragement from everyone in my last post I decided to try and make a new bushing for the wobbly idler gear.
I started with 1" brass hex stock and got measurements.
Glad we were able to encourage you

.....anyways I just eyeballed it to get center and got it really close....
And quite well done if I say so.

After I got it faced off and turned down to the proper O.D. I found I went just a hair under.....
This is where a mic shows its strengths.

I then continued to step up drills until I got to my 7/16" bit.
You really shouldnt need to do this. Especially in brass. It only encourages holes to end up off centre. Centre drill to locate, then, "if warranted" (and for 7/16 I would) put a drill just on or under the size of the chisel point of your final drill size, through to "almost" depth, then finish with the full size drill.

... since I don't have a boring setup yet, I didn't take pictures of what I used, it wasn't safe nor very effective. I got it done and that was that.
If you dont mind I would at least be interested to hear what you did, always more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Cheers Phil

It's impressive to me any time one takes a big chunk and makes a small chunk. Looks good man.

Great job! I love the way you adapted your plan as you went along to meet the situation. Probably comes natural since you're in AK.

Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Job well done and thanks for sharing.

I too would like to know what you used in place of the boring bar. I like to see how others think outside the box to get a job done.

Durwood

Very good job on the first project. It is very interesting how a part can be saved from scrape bin. I have a box of parts that I have kept over the years that were mismachined. Lessons well learned! Keep up the go.od work

"whatever it takes", and no missing fingers or bangs on your forehead. . . great.

Back