Machining Projects

Get yourself some books by Harold Hall. There are great projects for beginners and for the established home machinist. All the projects have photos and drawings well documented in detail. And it is always better to have the hard copy of a project as you can read it over and over until you understand the steps of machining perfectly. When you go to your workshop you start the job you know exactly what tools to use. It just makes it so much easier for me.:):):)

Carlo, Did you have any issues with work hardening SS, I hear you have to be very careful when working with SS.. Was is 304 or 303?

Could you describe your technique. I really want to learn how to machine SS, it is a pretty metal when polished.

Thanks

Joe

Joe, if you use 304 stainless, you will find that it machines very nicely without the work hardening issues. It can still work harden, but not nearly so easy as 304 or 316. I used to make a lot of parts from 316 for work and it can drive ya nuts, but once you learn how to deal with it, it isn't so bad.

The "Home Machinist Handbook" by Doug Briney starts with the basics and works up through lathe and mill operations. He uses Sherline tools to illustrate it, but the methods work on any size machine. He starts with reading drawings, using hand tools, setting up the lathe, grinding cutting tools, etc. The last part of the book is a projects section that builds some basic shop tools and ends with a model cannon.
As others have said, you can watch and read, but until you make chips and screw up a few times, you won't learn.
Good luck and have fun.

Thanks racardon, I will look for "The Home Machinist Handbook" book

Joe

if you use 304 stainless, you will find that it machines very nicely without the work hardening issues. It can still work harden, but not nearly so easy as 304 or 316.

Terry, is that a typo? Is 304 easy or not?
Thanks,
-brino

Back