Machining Projects

Thanks brino for all of the book and video links. I have watched the MIT videos. and I am currently watching tubal cain videos.

Joe

You already know this but screwing up SAFELY is a great way to learn. Start with Toms Technics for the basic moves and then The Lazy Machinist for some good learning projects. I still use my hammer from metal shop in High School 54 years ago.

Just an idea my first project was making a new rod for my mag base dial indicator. I bought a cheap one and it kept falling apart so I got fed up and took measurements and made my own trying to stay exactly within the original measurements. I'm glad I did it too as now my $5 mag base I indicator works much better. And that'll give you basic machining skills.

Regards-Carlo

Yes, stevemetsch, if there is one thing I do well is screw things up. Flustered

Joe

Carlo, good idea, I have a cheap HF magnetic base and my rod is, not to my liking, I think I will do the same.

Joe

Carlo, good idea, I have a cheap HF magnetic base and my rod is, not to my liking, I think I will do the same.

Joe
I more then likely have the same one. Mine had a flex joint in it that was really getting on my nerves. So I opted to make a solid shaft that was about an inch longer or so. I mount my indicator on the carriage of my lathe to indicate parts and with how short the original was, I had issues with parts interfering with indicator.

Regards-Carlo

Yup, that is the one I have, ready to throw it in the trash. What did you use, drill rod or just mild steel?

Thanks

Joe

Back