Machining car engine Flywheel on a lathe any advice?

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
I'm in a process of refreshing my car's engine, and one of the main things is dealing with the clutch and all the oil leaks. Bought a new pressure plate, clutch and release bearing but the flywheel is worn about 0,12-0,15mm and it seems to be uneven, no cracking or hot spots, so i wanted to try machining it on my lathe, but i've never turned an flywheel is it like turning brake discs any advice or thing to look for?
DSC_0112.JPG

I've never turned a flywheel on a lathe. When I worked at a shop, we resurfaced flywheels on a "flywheel grinder" which was much like a giant rotary table with a Cup style Grinding Wheel perpendicular to the flywheel surface.

Much like what's shown in this video:

Our brake lathe, did claim it could be used to resurface flywheels, though we never used it for that. I'd think if you could get a good enough finish, it would probably be ok.

Hi
Grinding might be a better option. With coolant.
Cheers
Martin

I have turned many flywheels in the lathe, but if there are any hard spots, it is difficult and takes an extremely hard grade of carbide to get through them. I used Kennametal K6. Grinding is entirely the better approach, more accurate, less material removed and better finish.

I got mine ground at NAPA, about 8 or so years ago. Only cost $40. Then a few years later, I got a new Luk brand for around $60 with shipping (both for 80's dodge full size pickups), from Rock auto. Some times it pays to look around.

Can be done,I have done it on a brake lathe.but shop in town only charges 35$ to grind,much better surface finish and no problem with hard spots.many wheels are available new for cheap now,but if can resurface I like to keep the old rather than offshore junk

I have turned many flywheels in the lathe, but if there are any hard spots, it is difficult and takes an extremely hard grade of carbide to get through them. I used Kennametal K6. Grinding is entirely the better approach, more accurate, less material removed and better finish.
John,
A buddy needs to have his flywheel machined.
He only needs the center portion machined and then the mounting holes need to be enlarged.
My question is how to mount the flywheel with clearance to machine the center?
I have some ideas but I bet there is an easy way??
I haven't seen it yet. It's on a Jeep transmission conversion. Heck, Maybe I could use my 10" 4 jaw??

Last edited:
I don't quite understand the question, Is it that he wants to enlarge the center hole, or what?

I'm in a process of refreshing my car's engine, and one of the main things is dealing with the clutch and all the oil leaks. Bought a new pressure plate, clutch and release bearing but the flywheel is worn about 0,12-0,15mm and it seems to be uneven, no cracking or hot spots, so i wanted to try machining it on my lathe, but i've never turned an flywheel is it like turning brake discs any advice or thing to look for?
View attachment 264386
If I am paying for turning the Flywheel I use a lathe .
If working for some one else blanched grind there paying for the cost.
Brakes I just buy new ones

Dave

Back