Machining between centers

Glmphoto

Active User
Registered
I set out to make a new arbor for an old table saw I am currently refurbishing. I have done some between centers work but I haven't yet had to thread both ends of a shaft. I know a part can be removed from the lathe and then returned to the lathe with great accuracy. My question is once one end of the shaft is turned and threaded is it OK to remove it and swap end for end,, removing and reinstalling the dog end for end as well. Then go about finishing up the other end of the shaft. Am I thinking right here or am I headed for trouble. Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

You're fine doing that. Just make sure you have a good finished thread before you swap ends.

I am not a machinist by any stretch of my imagination, But I can not see any problem with that as long as the finished threads are protected from the dog.I am hoping others will pipe up (so to speak) but I would most likely do it that way too....Regards

I set out to make a new arbor for an old table saw I am currently refurbishing. I have done some between centers work but I haven't yet had to thread both ends of a shaft. I know a part can be removed from the lathe and then returned to the lathe with great accuracy. My question is once one end of the shaft is turned and threaded is it OK to remove it and swap end for end,, removing and reinstalling the dog end for end as well. Then go about finishing up the other end of the shaft. Am I thinking right here or am I headed for trouble. Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

Just one bit of advice I'd give you is make sure you do all your roughing first on both ends, just leave a little for finishing, I'm not sure how large a shaft your starting with and how much material you'll be taking off for steps and such, I've seen people rough and finish one end then turn the piece and start roughing the other end, by the time they get to where they should be finishing the second end there watching what looks like a cam spinning on there lathe, flipping end for end for threading purposes should not be any problem just remember a typical driving dog will not have the same holding power as a chuck, nice light cuts when threading, it's a bugger when the lathe dog slips and you unintentionally start cutting a double start thread.:))

What is the reason to be turning between centers with a dog? I just finished the same job an hour or so ago. All I did was chuck it up, face, turn to nominal, single point to my check nut, ran a file over the threads and wire brushed. End for ended it and repeated. Removed from lathe and installed.

What did I do wrong?:thinking:

What is the reason to be turning between centers with a dog? I just finished the same job an hour or so ago. All I did was chuck it up, face, turn to nominal, single point to my check nut, ran a file over the threads and wire brushed. End for ended it and repeated. Removed from lathe and installed.

thats the way i was thinking of doing it, unless the arbor is longer than im picturing and wont fit through spindle. But, Im a novice at this stuff.

Richard

Nothing done wrong, I know some people that like to do projects this way ( between centers ) just in case for some reason they can't finish the project immediately or there expecting to get interrupted on the machine, it allows for an easier setup when the project can be resumed ( no indicating ) sometimes there's trial fits as well that make this method more piratical.

You can bring it back true with a indicator before you start to turn the second side yea? If it's an option I would leave the shaft a inch or two long. Leave it in the chuck and turn the whole shaft in one set up.

But I never used a dog so that maybe ignorance speaking

I would think if your centers are on center, your parts would turn on center either way???

One bit of advice is, if you ever have to clamp a lathe dog onto sensitive material - threads, a machined finish, etc. - you can place either thick cardboard or a strip of soft metal between the dog screw and the material to keep from marring it. With thin, uniform strips of brass or copper or aluminum, you can do the same thing with chuck jaws or vises.

Back