Machinerys Handbook

The only thing I have found is that an old version of the Machinery Handbook can be as costly as a current version. I saw a 14th version for sale, the asking price was $50.00. I was lucky and was given a copy of both a 14th and 21 versions.

Paul

The only thing I have found is that an old version of the Machinery Handbook can be as costly as a current version. I saw a 14th version for sale, the asking price was $50.00. I was lucky and was given a copy of both a 14th and 21 versions.

Paul

A first edition will run you $800.00 in poor condition. A 14th edition is one with the red dot on the cover. It's the only edition to have it. That's where the extra money comes in. $50.00 is a fair price. Sellers are looking to sell to collectors most of the time. I have a second edition and you don't want to know what I paid for it. I was at an auction and a pristine first edition was there. I backed out of the auction at $1200.00. It sold to a Pennsylvania collector for $3150.00. I am still looking for 1-3-4-8 editions.

Sorry about getting off topic here, but price was brought up and needed to be addressed. My everyday go to handbook is the 11 th edition.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
My first MH was the 23rd edition. I traded a scrapped Jeep body for it. The second MH was the 21st edition that I got at a yard sale for 1$.

For a more hands-on approach check The Workshop Practice Series
http://www.teepublishing.co.uk/books/workshop-practice-series/ (also via Amazon). These books address all aspects of home machining from the perspective of a hobby machinist: how-to with hobby-level - not industrial - machinery. I own many of these and rate them highly.
There are similar texts from Amazon ( have not read them, however), for eg:
- Stan Bray, Basic Lathework for Home Machinists,
- Harold Hall, Metal Lathe for Home Machinists,
- David Clark,Metal Turning on the Lathe

All the above authors were extensively involved with the British model engineering magazine, Model Engineers' Workshop (and possibly its companion Model Engineer).

While not a book Harold Hall has an extensive website that offers a wealth of information and too many projects to list.
http://homews.co.uk/index.html

There is also a large selection at Village Press/ Home Shop Machinist/
Machinists' Workshop. Many collate articles from the early years of the magazines' editions.

If you look through old issues of Popular Mechanics/Popular Science - accessible through Google - (1940s to late 1950s or early 1960s) there were many 'how to use' articles for most metal machinery.

The usual disclaimers...

The books I use most are Machinery's Handbook (20th ed), Marks Handbook for Mechanical Engineers, the Atlas lathe handbook others have mentioned (well-illustrated), and the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. I would not buy any of these new, though, as they are expensive and most of the data can be found online. Perry's Handbook of chemical engineering is good for material properties.

Guys,

I think I need a good reference book or two. Here is the background of my work.

I am a retired engineer by qualification and I spent my early years as an engineer working on control logic circuits, micro-computer based control system electronics, some years in mechanical equipment manufacturing and so on. That gave me plenty of exposure to understanding design of mechanical parts though my degree certificate said I was an electrical engineer. Later I went into management side of the business that had less to do with engineering. I have not forgotten everything that I learned though much of it is very hazy.

Initially I want to work on worm reduction drive for my astronomy applications. I have a small machine shop in the basement with a G4000 9x10 lathe and a G8689 mini-mill along with a few other accessories such as a bench grinder, belt sander, etc.

I want to do everything to the best level of quality and precision. To put everything into proper use I feel that I need some reference book(s). One book I thought of was the Machinerys Handbook. I browsed amazon.com and found many books by different authors. I could not decide which one would be the best. My immediate need was to refer proper guide on fits and tolerances. I want all aspects covered if possible.

I already have downloaded free books from the Internet like "How to run a SB lathe", etc. I would appreciate if you can advice me on what other books I could get, download or buy.

Thanks
Prasad
Wynnewood PA

I am an admitted amateur and not nearly as practiced or educated as many on this forum, but the reference book that I have used most is "Machinists' ready reference" by C. Weingartner, Prakken Publications. A prized possession given to me by an old friend, a machinist and millwright who sadly is no longer with us.

For a more hands-on approach check The Workshop Practice Series
http://www.teepublishing.co.uk/books/workshop-practice-series/ (also via Amazon). These books address all aspects of home machining from the perspective of a hobby machinist: how-to with hobby-level - not industrial - machinery. I own many of these and rate them highly.
There are similar texts from Amazon ( have not read them, however), for eg:
- Stan Bray, Basic Lathework for Home Machinists,
- Harold Hall, Metal Lathe for Home Machinists,
- David Clark,Metal Turning on the Lathe

All the above authors were extensively involved with the British model engineering magazine, Model Engineers' Workshop (and possibly its companion Model Engineer).

While not a book Harold Hall has an extensive website that offers a wealth of information and too many projects to list.
http://homews.co.uk/index.html

There is also a large selection at Village Press/ Home Shop Machinist/
Machinists' Workshop. Many collate articles from the early years of the magazines' editions.

If you look through old issues of Popular Mechanics/Popular Science - accessible through Google - (1940s to late 1950s or early 1960s) there were many 'how to use' articles for most metal machinery.

The usual disclaimers...

I would agree with Dunc1 here, plenty of practical info in the list he provided, but if you look at this forum (BEGINNERS FORUM (Learn How To Machine Here) the very last entry in the list of "Sticky Posts"i s called "The Bible". This is a .pdf version of the 1914 edition of "American Machinists' Handbook. This is free, a quick download, and will have lots of useful info for you. In the past I have found fairly late version of Machinery's Handbook available for download (free) just by doing a Google search. It was the 27th edition, and I eventually bought the 28th edition, because I prefer the feel of a book rather than looking at a screen, but it cost me around AU$ 200 for the privilege. Had I realised, I could have purchased either new or near new copies of the 27th or other earlier versions for a much lower price than the AU$200 or thereabouts that I paid for the new 28th edition, and still had all the info that I needed, as none of my work is remotely near the cutting edge.
Amazon has lists of second hand books, and almost certainly plenty of earlier copies of MH and both Amazon and Book Depository would be a good source of any of the Workshop Practice series, and Book depository have very competitive pricing and free postage . They routinely get books from the U.K to Australia in less than a week, and at little over half the price from local bookshops, They are very good in my experience as a happy customer, - no other affiliations. I hope that this late post is of some asistance,
Rob.

What is a 12th edition going for today

Dave

A first edition will run you $800.00 in poor condition. A 14th edition is one with the red dot on the cover. It's the only edition to have it. That's where the extra money comes in. $50.00 is a fair price. Sellers are looking to sell to collectors most of the time. I have a second edition and you don't want to know what I paid for it. I was at an auction and a pristine first edition was there. I backed out of the auction at $1200.00. It sold to a Pennsylvania collector for $3150.00. I am still looking for 1-3-4-8 editions.

Sorry about getting off topic here, but price was brought up and needed to be addressed. My everyday go to handbook is the 11 th edition.

"Billy G"

Depending on condition $30.00 to $50.00. The ones that fetch the big bucks are single digit editions, #1 thru #8.. I do however have to agree that anything above #21 is overpriced on ebay.

"Billy G"

Back