Machinerys Handbook

prasad

Active User
Registered
Guys,

I think I need a good reference book or two. Here is the background of my work.

I am a retired engineer by qualification and I spent my early years as an engineer working on control logic circuits, micro-computer based control system electronics, some years in mechanical equipment manufacturing and so on. That gave me plenty of exposure to understanding design of mechanical parts though my degree certificate said I was an electrical engineer. Later I went into management side of the business that had less to do with engineering. I have not forgotten everything that I learned though much of it is very hazy.

Initially I want to work on worm reduction drive for my astronomy applications. I have a small machine shop in the basement with a G4000 9x19 lathe and a G8689 mini-mill along with a few other accessories such as a bench grinder, belt sander, etc.

I want to do everything to the best level of quality and precision. To put everything into proper use I feel that I need some reference book(s). One book I thought of was the Machinerys Handbook. I browsed amazon.com and found many books by different authors. I could not decide which one would be the best. My immediate need was to refer proper guide on fits and tolerances. I want all aspects covered if possible.

I already have downloaded free books from the Internet like "How to run a SB lathe", etc. I would appreciate if you can advice me on what other books I could get, download or buy.

Thanks
Prasad
Wynnewood PA

Last edited:
Machinery's Handbook is the premier reference for machinists and engineers. 2500 pages of facts, figures, and standards. It is a must have book for any serious machinist/designer. But it doesn't necessarily tell you how to do a particular operation.

There are a lot of how-to books out there so you are just going to have to get a few and and see if they are useful to you. Many times if a book has one paragraph in it that is useful to me, then I feel that the book was worth the price.

Also take a look at this posting:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/24599-Us-Army-Machining-Course?p=217489&viewfull=1#post217489

I have the handbook and use it in the office. For the shop, I got a copy of 'Machinery's Handbook Pocket Companion'. The other book I use a lot is 'Lathe Operation' that came with my old 6X18 lathe. I've been using it for 30 years, and for many of those years it was my only lathe book. I believe South Bend has a similar book for their lathe. Things like feeds and speeds and tap drills don't change much over time.

Machinery's Handbook is the premier reference for machinists and engineers. 2500 pages of facts, figures, and standards. It is a must have book for any serious machinist/designer. But it doesn't necessarily tell you how to do a particular operation.

There are a lot of how-to books out there so you are just going to have to get a few and and see if they are useful to you. Many times if a book has one paragraph in it that is useful to me, then I feel that the book was worth the price.

Also take a look at this posting:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/24599-Us-Army-Machining-Course?p=217489&viewfull=1#post217489

Jim, Thank you. I am not looking for a how-to book. I want a reference book on deciding items such as fits & tolereances and such. Amazon has more than 100 page long listings by many authors and each book with many versions. That looked very difficult to decide. It was for that reason I described my proposed use for the reference book. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Prasad

I have the handbook and use it in the office. For the shop, I got a copy of 'Machinery's Handbook Pocket Companion'. The other book I use a lot is 'Lathe Operation' that came with my old 6X18 lathe. I've been using it for 30 years, and for many of those years it was my only lathe book. I believe South Bend has a similar book for their lathe. Things like feeds and speeds and tap drills don't change much over time.

Larry,

Can you give me the name of the author and the version or year? For both books please.

Thanks
Prasad

It looks like my beat up old 'Lathe Operation' book is now a collectors item with prices of $50+. It was put out by the Atlas Press Company and by Craftsman. I believe the Atlas Press Company, later the Atlas Tool Company, eventually became Clausing Industrial.

The South Bend book is 'How to run a Lathe' and is available on Amazon for about $6.

The Pocket companion is put out by Industrial Press and is available on Amazon for $16 and up, depending on version.

Audels has an excellent set of reference books for enjoyment too.
as does the works of Colvin & Stanley- American Machinist's handbook
Machinery's Handbook is a solid go to , but the others listed have like information.
i hope the information is helpful
mike:))

Last edited:
Prasad, in addition to the previous mentioned books, I would recommend Gears and Gear Cutting by Ivan Law since you mentioned wanting to make your own worm reduction. It is geared (pardon the pun) towards the home machinist. Also do not over look the various catalogs by Boston Gear and the bearing manufacturers as they often include tables and charts for fits and tolerances and often can be had for the asking from local bearing houses.
As mentioned by Ulma Doctor, there are several books by Colvin and Stanley that were excellent. As everyone has said get a copy of Machinerys Handbook. Beware that once you head down the path of getting a few books, that can also become an addiction. Ask me how I know!:lmao:

Regards
Darrell

I'll just mention you can get an electronic version of "Machinery's handbook".

Much better for me. My old eyes have trouble with the very fine print, plus the .pdf is searchable. I do print out a table when needed and don't have to worry about getting grease all over the paper.

Karl

Back