M6-25M Extension bracket and enough confusion to last the day...

The 2 cups are Timken 07196, the front cone is Timken 07100, the rear cone is Timken 07079.

Okay, with all that I had my bearing guy "whip something up" If I can't find the receipt I may still have the boxes with the old bearings in them. I wonder why I do that knowing I'll never re-use those bearings but...

Just send in a print for the bracket out of SLS glass impregnated nylon. It'll take a few weeks to get here with the holidays, but once I get it I'll let you know how it works in "not metal".

Just send in a print for the bracket out of SLS glass impregnated nylon. It'll take a few weeks to get here with the holidays, but once I get it I'll let you know how it works in "not metal".
And are you going to use it on a 618 or MK2(10100)?

I saw this pop up on ebay today.

NEW ATLAS CRAFTSMAN 6 INCH LATHE M6-735 METRIC THREADING KIT+INSTRUCTIONS USA

so, let's review

Screenshot at 2021-01-01 15-13-04.png

This is the first mention I find of the extension gear bracket.
Screenshot at 2021-01-01 15-15-44.png
On the left is a 618metric threading chart. On the right is a Mk II metric threading chart
On the left for the M6-25 bracket. On the right for the 041-464

The original info doesn't apply to me
The MK II manual makes no mention of the accessory bracket but does add "position B" between the screw and "position A". I wonder if I have enough room for position "D" in the MK II.

The plot thickens. All I wanted was M6 x .5 mm threads ...

I also have an Atlas Mk2 the same as yours but I haven't done a lot of thread cutting only manually using the tail stock so sorry I can't help more. In saying that I would be happy to hear how you go on your quest for M6 x .5 mm threads ;)

I would be happy to hear how you go on your quest
No problem. I've never been able to keep such things to myself :)

While I'm here. Things that make you go , hummmmm.

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 5
  • bracket_.jpg
    bracket_.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
So , I needed the bracket as I ran out of room on the AB slot.
"When calculating the ratios, ignore any idler gears; the 20 and 24 in your tumbler and the 40 in position-B.

Reduction = (32/32) * (32/36) * (20/46) * (44/54) = 0.3149

16 TPI / 0.3149 = 50.81 TPI"

*Courtesy of Brett Riggs gofastforless.com / mrriggs@gofastforless.com
Brett is another of my recurring victims when it comes to odd machine issues.

The original bushing was an issue on the bracket slot. It had too much chamfer and seized on tightening. I used the sharp shoulder from the one I made and moved the original to the bracket attachment/position "B".
The "A" and "B" bushings are upside down , shoulder to the outside.

I didn't have time for a scratch pass as she said "time to go"!

I'll follow up tonight .

~Dennis

P.S.

A friend upgraded to a 10" heavy a year or so ago and had a pair of NOS half nuts for his 6" left over . With no warning they showed up in the mail Friday with a Merry Xmas note attached! "Here's a pair of half nuts. That is two whole nuts. Now ya got a pair!"

Sometimes it's a good thing when your friends are close relations of Richard Cranium, ~D...

Attachments

• M5_pitch.jpeg
    M5_pitch.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 5
Back