Low cost slim glass scale

Don't know if you do Aliexpress, nor if this is the best vendor, but here's a listing for a slim 1um linear encoder. Price includes free shipping.

I ordered my encoders from Aliexpress, did ok. Actually the seller was Ditron for one of the scales. In an Ali email, they suggested contacting them directly for a better price. (That didn't feel ethical, but oh well.) I didn't go direct, for that purchase, but here's the email contact, should anyone want to try. info@dcoee.com. Their website is pretty poor, no pricing info, hard to tell the differences between items. But might be worth a try contacting them direct.

Don't know if you do Aliexpress, nor if this is the best vendor, but here's a listing for a slim 1um linear encoder. Price includes free shipping.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...Lhh8cXjD&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:

glad it is working out for you, but even at the original $155 price it is not what i would classify as cheap, but that is all relative.

So as nearly as I can detemine, the KA500 above is 18x20mm, while the KA200 is 16x16mm, both at 1um resolution. I like/need the smaller size, so price is a secondary issue here, as you say it's all relative.

I continue to hope this all works out. I have a Ditron D80 DRO, which I like, so if I have to adapt for pinouts, so be it.

So as nearly as I can detemine, the KA500 above is 18x20mm, while the KA200 is 16x16mm, both at 1um resolution. I like/need the smaller size, so price is a secondary issue here, as you say it's all relative.

I continue to hope this all works out. I have a Ditron D80 DRO, which I like, so if I have to adapt for pinouts, so be it.
Wasn't aware of the smaller size requirement. Didn't know they even existed! The smaller size would have made my life easier, but, at this point, I've already finished my install. Will keep it in mind for future use.

Wasn't aware of the smaller size requirement. Didn't know they even existed! The smaller size would have made my life easier, but, at this point, I've already finished my install. Will keep it in mind for future use.
yes the KA 200s are smaller and i had looked at them but at 3X the price i think i will try to work it out with these. not the smallest form factor but a nice price point.

So just to wrap up the SINO KA200 1um glass scales, they're installed and working...but I was somewhat surprised that I needed to calibrate with a linear fudge factor via the Ditron D80 DRO calibration code. It was off a few thousandths per inch, and after calibration it's about a few tenths...I suppose that's adequate, but worse than the provided quality plot suggests. There it looks like three 1um counts would cover the error. Don't know why it's not closer. I was hoping it would be. Of course there is no reason I need this accuracy, but I thought it was what I was purchasing. Overall I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

So just to wrap up the SINO KA200 1um glass scales, they're installed and working...but I was somewhat surprised that I needed to calibrate with a linear fudge factor via the Ditron D80 DRO calibration code. It was off a few thousandths per inch, and after calibration it's about a few tenths...I suppose that's adequate, but worse than the provided quality plot suggests. There it looks like three 1um counts would cover the error. Don't know why it's not closer. I was hoping it would be. Of course there is no reason I need this accuracy, but I thought it was what I was purchasing. Overall I'd give it a 7 out of 10.
My guess would be that his is a quality reject. I have not seen a "name brand" Chinese scale that was off by more than 4-5 encoder counts per inch (so it would be 5um or about 0.0002" in this case). I've heard of people getting new scales off AliExpress with scratched or even cracked encoder strips, so this is not outside of the real of possibility. Pretty much anything you can get for under $75 - $80 is some sort of "fell off the truck". KA200 look suspiciously similar to this: https://www.aikrondro.com/product/aikron-aks-slim-type-linear-encoders/, so I suspect $50 offerings come from the same factory.

My guess would be that his is a quality reject.
Oh man, just my luck. And, it was $155. Thanks for your comment...If there was a way to purchase a known good KA200, I would do that, as I'm kind of obsessed with getting this right.

Oh man, just my luck. And, it was $155. Thanks for your comment...If there was a way to purchase a known good KA200, I would do that, as I'm kind of obsessed with getting this right.

So, at $155 you *probably* got a good scale. Weirdly, fakes/rejects are almost never sold at "good brand" price points.
The marketplace in China is "weird" by our standards, especially for these niche industrial products, but for some reason distributors' markups are generally in the same ball park. I.e. you won't often see products marked up by 50%-100%. 10% is much more common. I.e. people selling DRO scales will try to set the price as low as they can to move the inventory fast.

As far as where to buy a "known good" scale, it's a tricky question. In my experience with DRO scales from China, they fall into three categories:
1. Ditron/Aikron - both are OEMs (for some value of OEM), and try to play the long game. The quality is good and support is better than average by Chinese standards. Their glass scales are [usually] spot on; magnetic scales are meh, but at least consistently "meh". Ditron has an official store on eBay and Amazon; Airkon has a direct-to-consumer we store. Ditron has a well equipped QA lab where they can check the scales on an interferometer stand (they sent me a video at one point, and were able to produce reports for their magnetic scales when asked). Don't know about Aikron, but I would bet some money they do as well.

2. White label scales (Vevor, Sino, ToAuto, etc.) - usually made by Ditron, but the level of QA varies depending on the price. These are almost always fine, but from time to time you might run into lemons.

3. Fakes (can be any "brand", but Sino is VERY popular, since it is a well known trademark in China and is no longer protected). There are two categories for these:
a. Quality rejects/dumpster finds from the "big" OEMs - you get crap
b. Scales build in small shops from parts bought from the larger OEMs - what you get depends on how lucky you are, since these are build basically in someone's garage, and the "company" can't afford test equipment to QA the end result. I have seen some that are complete crap, and some that were very well made.

In other words, going by the brand is useless. The moment a brand name becomes well known, the market is flooded with fakes, and then fakes of fakes. In my experience, people had decent luck with Ditron's official store on Amazon/eBay, Aikron, or Vevor (from their store).

Before throwing money at a new scales, I'd re-check your setup. If you have a consistent linear error (regardless of the resolution), the scales is good. If you get discrepancies between different travel intervals, but the numbers are stable, you have a bad encoder strip (bad etching), if you get inconsistent results over the same travel intervals, either the reader is sloppy or not adjusted correctly, or the DRO is skipping encoder pulses.

Regards
Yuriy

Well, then I have more diagnostic work to do. Thanks for the info, Yurily!

I am not sure if my expectations are reasonable...that gauge blocks measured with a 0.0001 dial indicator, ought to give the right answer within maybe a few microns. You think?

Back