Lost dial lock screw - 10K large dials

1975, that is a late model. I would enjoy looking at that lathe close up. The difference between my war production 13 and your late 10 would be interesting.
Flame hardened ways right?
Double lever gear box. What kind of spindle bearings? Roller or did they stick with the brass/bronze?

My small SB9 dial is 10-32. Yes small dials are the ****z
Any good hardware store is your friend.
Cheers

1975, that is a late model. I would enjoy looking at that lathe close up. The difference between my war production 13 and your late 10 would be interesting.
Flame hardened ways right?
Double lever gear box. What kind of spindle bearings? Roller or did they stick with the brass/bronze?
Sadly the ways are not flame hardened. I think because a 10K is basically a 9 with a taller headstock and tailstock. Many 9" parts are a direct interchange. It has bronze bushings with a roller thrust bearing like yours I imagine. I'll post some pics.

More sleuthing revealed that the screw is a 10-32.
What so bizarre is the diameter difference between the existing screw at .179" dia and the 10-32 at .189" dia.
The 10-32 is definitely more snug, so maybe the old screw is just worn?

Check to make sure that you didn't lose the small spacer that resides under the screw. The screw itself is not long enough to engage the leadscrew.

I recently bought a 10K (1959 I think). I have a different problem - My compound has a knurled slot head like the one pictured, but it doesn't lock the dial, seems too short. I found a longer matching thread in my huge stock of misc bolts - that locked it. I was wondering if there is suppose to be a little slug in the hole that the screw pushes?
thx!
A

Check to make sure that you didn't lose the small spacer that resides under the screw. The screw itself is not long enough to engage the leadscrew.
Aha! just as I suspected! Previous owner lost it! Can anyone offer the dimensions of said spacer?
thx :)

Aha! just as I suspected! Previous owner lost it! Can anyone offer the dimensions of said spacer?

I’ll see if I can extract mine and I’ll measure it.
Other than diameter, I suspect it’s a non-critical dimension.

Under certain set screws etc that went directly onto a threaded shaft my old Atlas 7b had lead shot under the screw. I thought it was kinda genius as it locked the shaft without marring it.

Back