Looking for my perfect size hobby mill....

Yes, I ended up with the 728vt in my case... it was the right fit for me.

Uncrated first good look.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I ended up with the 728vt in my case... it was the right fit for me.

View attachment 345223
So how are you liking your new mill...?

I'm looking to maybe get the PM-728VT or the PM-25MV because both are in stock now, I was looking at the PM-727V over the 25MV but its out of stock and will arrive after my lathe by months, I need to mill the a T-Nut for the incoming lathe, after that I have no idea how much use ill get out of it...!

Do you think the Spec difference between the 728VT and 25MV Is worth the extra 1300.00 Bucks - Thanks Mike...

lol I'm thinking ill try and convince PM that I am buying it as an accessory to my lathe and see if I can get free shipping.. :)

Mr. Mike,

After adding a Digital Read Out (DRO) to it, it has proven to be a very solid working machine.
I would recommend it to anyone who has:
1. Space limitations
2. 120 VAC power limitations.
3. Wants a bit more working volume than many table top milling machines.
4. Needs a bit more precisions and repeatability than many table top milling machines.

Downside... does cost more.

Mr. Mike,

After adding a Digital Read Out (DRO) to it, it has proven to be a very solid working machine.
I would recommend it to anyone who has:
1. Space limitations
2. 120 VAC power limitations.
3. Wants a bit more working volume than many table top milling machines.
4. Needs a bit more precisions and repeatability than many table top milling machines.

Downside... does cost more.
I like everything your saying, My issue is, and I could be wrong - for me it might be like a router, Sits on the shelf 95% of the time but absolutely priceless when you need it... I was in the works to get one in 2020 as you can see by this thread but then House hunting and covide got in the way... Poorboy had the PM-25MV for sale and I missed out on it. would have made a great starter mill I'm sure.

its just bad timing with a T-Nut Ill need soon, If it wasn't for that I would just wait till next year and get the PM-728VT or the 833TV I was considering, Edit: Guess i answered my own question - wait and get the better machine with DRO installed...

Thanks for the Info Sir, Glad to hear all is well the your mill..

Mike.

Last edited:
there is a PM25 for sale right in your town.
Unfortunately I missed out on it - Bad timing. Thanks for trying to give me a heads up on it...

So how are you liking your new mill...?

I'm looking to maybe get the PM-728VT or the PM-25MV because both are in stock now, I was looking at the PM-727V over the 25MV but its out of stock and will arrive after my lathe by months, I need to mill the a T-Nut for the incoming lathe, after that I have no idea how much use ill get out of it...!

Do you think the Spec difference between the 728VT and 25MV Is worth the extra 1300.00 Bucks - Thanks Mike...

lol I'm thinking ill try and convince PM that I am buying it as an accessory to my lathe and see if I can get free shipping.. :)

I think Blondihacks recently upgraded from a PM25 to the 728, she has a video going over the differences. Short answer, the differences are mostly quality, the 728 can take a little bigger bites, and is a little tighter machine overall. The PM25 and 728 should be capable of doing the same work, the 728 will just be able to do it faster and maybe a little more accurately for the same effort.

I think Blondihacks recently upgraded from a PM25 to the 728, she has a video going over the differences. Short answer, the differences are mostly quality, the 728 can take a little bigger bites, and is a little tighter machine overall. The PM25 and 728 should be capable of doing the same work, the 728 will just be able to do it faster and maybe a little more accurately for the same effort.
Thanks Man ill go have a look see...

I always like blondihacks reviews, she says I should get the better VT mill.. But she didn't have much bad to say about the PM-25 either - so it's a good starter lathe. I've seen her make plenty on it in the past.

Edit: One thing I like about both the PM-25MV and PM-728VT Is there compact, available to ship so I could add one or the other now. But the quill travel is short on both machines. If I were to get one now it would make more sense to get a plain PM-25MV which is easier sell down the road if I decide I need a bigger machine like an PM-833T, unless all I really end up needing is the better PM-728VT then that would be a mistake..

Question: How big a deal is quill travel if that was a deciding factor..??? The PM-25 is 2" - PM728VT is 3" - PM-833T is 4.75 if the jump in quill travel from 3" to 4.75" isn't a giant leap in usability then I think the PM728VT is all I would need and can skip the PM-833T for the smaller foot print of the PM-728VT, and skip over the PM-25MV for the higher quality at the get go.

The only other thing I would like to do on a mill, at some point is maybe make some gears with a dividing head. If the PM-728VT is capable of that then I think It may be all I need for the long run..!

Thanks Mike.

Last edited:
Mike,

Once you have a mill you will find all kinds of cool stuff to make and repair. If you are already talking a starter mill that you can sell later. You should skip the little one and just buy a knee mill now, something like a PM-935TS 3 phase and add a VFD.....

Come on man you know you want one!!!!

I like everything your saying, My issue is, and I could be wrong - for me it might be like a router, Sits on the shelf 95% of the time but absolutely priceless when you need it... I was in the works to get one in 2020 as you can see by this thread but then House hunting and covide got in the way... Poorboy had the PM-25MV for sale and I missed out on it. would have made a great starter mill I'm sure.

its just bad timing with a T-Nut Ill need soon, If it wasn't for that I would just wait till next year and get the PM-728VT or the 833TV I was considering, Edit: Guess i answered my own question - wait and get the better machine with DRO installed...

Thanks for the Info Sir, Glad to hear all is well the your mill..

Mike.
If the only reason to buy now is to make the T-Nut, why not just have one of us make it for you?

Other than that, my advice is to buy the largest, tightest/most rigid machine you can afford and have space for: otherwise you’ll regret it sooner rather than later. The step-up that Quinn made only cost her the mill itself as her other high cost investments (vise, rotary table, tooling, etc.) are a good fit for the new machine. If I were to upgrade to a Bench Mill (the largest I have room for and could maneuver into the shop) I’d have to include a lot of accessories, some immediately, others to take advantage of the improved capabilities.

Last edited:
Back