Looking for input on a machine I found

Anybody can write a CNC operating system in C++, it takes a real glutton for punishment to do it in VB.net. :faint: :grin: :grin: ;)
Yes, yes, that's true. You are definitely a trooper! ;) ;)

Seriously though, good code is good code and writing a complex application is worthy of pride. :encourage:

If your intent is to make money in business, then I don’t think I’d start with a broken old machine. You can buy turn key cnc machines for small work that can be making money tomorrow. Or you can buy something like this. My .02

If your intent is to make money in business, then I don’t think I’d start with a broken old machine. You can buy turn key cnc machines for small work that can be making money tomorrow. Or you can buy something like this. My .02
Don't think he said it was for a business, just wanted to get his "hands dirty"

John

I misinterpreted it. I think I saw the words “bootstrap the whole operation” and took that to mean it was a business proposition.
Oops!

So umm…If I were to want to do machining and build things, I don’t think I’d start with a broken down cnc mill. There are turn key machines that are under 5k I believe that will get you making stuff right away. You can get dirty hands from setting it up, and removing the first gloriously easy to make part. :grin:

Lol! Obviously I ain’t the guy to answer this one. Your fun plan sounds like my worst nightmare. I’d never buy a cnc machine on spec. I used to work on them and I hated it!

So lastly, nevermind me. I applaud your enthusiasm, and wish you luck on your journey to recreational engineering/machining/g code nirvana.

I misinterpreted it. I think I saw the words “bootstrap the whole operation” and took that to mean it was a business proposition.
Oops!

So umm…If I were to want to do machining and build things, I don’t think I’d start with a broken down cnc mill. There are turn key machines that are under 5k I believe that will get you making stuff right away. You can get dirty hands from setting it up, and removing the first gloriously easy to make part. :grin:

Lol! Obviously I ain’t the guy to answer this one. Your fun plan sounds like my worst nightmare. I’d never buy a cnc machine on spec. I used to work on them and I hated it!

So lastly, nevermind me. I applaud your enthusiasm, and wish you luck on your journey to recreational engineering/machining/g code nirvana.
No biggie. My endeavor is indeed mostly recreational for the moment. There is little to none overlap between mechanical engineering, and my field which is software engineering or the traditional "computer science" degree I have. So, its going to be a learning experience partly because I want to do prototype builds of other machinery, mostly cnc related stuff. That will be well down the road. But, the idea is to gain more knowledge of the internals and actual usage/engineering of these machines as that will be absolutely needed before I can start designing new ones. By bootstrapping, I mean I am attempting to get one machine, and use that machine to build all the other machines/tooling. As far as the term "operation" this is mostly the term I use so my wife believes its important and doesn't divorce me for the money Im about to spend.

Back