Looking for input on a machine I found

GreyMan

Registered
Registered
I'm in the market for a mill, I'm trying to put together a shop. I am in rural Missouri, and its kind of slim pickens for used machinery and storage/garage finds. I considered buying a benchtop mill because I am just getting tired of looking. I came across this machine today, but dont know anything about it. Its an older import from the looks of it, and they claim it works(or did work before it became a ton paperweight) they also said it was set up to cnc. Just looking for any input, and maybe what im getting myself into if it is possible to refurb it. Im attaching the images. Thanks in advance. Also, glad to be here, this is actually my first post. I hope I can contribute back once I gain some more knowledge.mill.jpgmill3.jpgm4.jpg

Hello and welcome.

This probably isn’t the machine for a beginner. Converting it to manual would be a task and its CNC controls are probably outdated and in need of a refit.

I’d say you should probably keep looking, patience is your friend. But, if you just can’t wait check out forum sponsor Precision Matthews. They have some good offerings on both bench and knee type mills.

I’m guessing if you’re looking at this one you have the space for a full size machine, if that’s in your budget I doubt you’ll regret it. If looking for used bench top mills the venerable RF30 was sold in large numbers so you may be able to find one at a reasonable cost. They can do real work, and there are many work around for their round column shortcomings.

Let us know a little more about your projects and of course post pictures of anything else you come across locally.

John

It looks like an ancient (Early90's?), built for CNC only. It appears not well taken care of but it still might be restorable, if that's the route you want to go? I agree, manual conversion would be difficult.

I'm in the market for a mill, I'm trying to put together a shop. I am in rural Missouri, and its kind of slim pickens for used machinery and storage/garage finds. I considered buying a benchtop mill because I am just getting tired of looking. I came across this machine today, but dont know anything about it. Its an older import from the looks of it, and they claim it works(or did work before it became a ton paperweight) they also said it was set up to cnc. Just looking for any input, and maybe what im getting myself into if it is possible to refurb it. Im attaching the images. Thanks in advance. Also, glad to be here, this is actually my first post. I hope I can contribute back once I gain some more knowledge.View attachment 480542View attachment 480543View attachment 480545
thats funny..... funny oh no, not haha...... I would not know where to even start....

I don't see a control but...
These start out life as a casting that can be made into either a cnc or a manual machine.
That said, the Motors with drive belt and pullies can be removed and converted to a handle.
X and y are not very hard but the quill can be more difficult depending on the casting.
Tell them your from Missouri "the show me state" and ask them to power it up.
While there move the debris and take more pictures.
It might just run or partially run.
I have done a cnc to Manual conversion and will post some parts pictures when I get to the shop.
I believe Missouri to be a machine tool desert, so you might not have as many affordable options.
What kind of money do they want?

Hey, thanks for the responses. Also, sorry for not really giving a better explanation. I am indeed wanting to build full 3 axis cnc into a machine. However, after posting this I did come across another older forum post about this specific machine, and after reading that plus the responses here I think I may be better off passing on this one. For one, as @sdelivery stated it is missing the control box. This was in the ad, but I originally didnt think it was that big of a deal, however, these machines were built to be 2.5 axis(if thats the correct term?) cnc from the get go and based on older technology(no G code at all). It is listed for $1200, but Im sure I could get if for half of that. That being said, I think if I did a conversion I would rather it be on a better platform from the get go(bridgeport or a clone of some sort).

Just a little more background, I am a software engineer, and wanting to get my hands dirty. My late grandfather was a machinist, and on the other side of the family my grandfather was an aeronautical engineer, so its in my blood. Wanting to build up a small shop to build tools and other machines. I plan on building my own cnc plasma table, already have some decent plans for that, I am trying to get a mill, get it refurbed and converted if needed and using that to start building everything I can, basically gonna attempt to bootstrap the entire operation.

Well here is my unpopular opinion.
This is the perfect bridgeport clone to start with.
You have Motors with brackets they have the right pullies to drive them.
It has ball screws.
The headstock has the casting necessary for your z axis motor, missing on manual BP clones.
Being a software engineer it would be easy for you to build a system with CamSoft retrofit software.
This could be done with what you have shown as a picture.......
Check out CamSoft and offer them four or five hundred dollars.

Back