Looking for change gears

From my research, those lathes both HF and Lathemaster were made by Dazheng in China. I wish that I could find an importer besides HF and LMS. I do have a mill now, I'll guess that I will have to learn how to make gears (actually, that is a good thing).

The 7x10 uses module 1 20° pa gears. I purchased a set of 8 cutters on Ebay for $59.80 and a 22mm R8 arbor for $49.00 from China. They took about 2 weeks to get here. Quality is good on the cutters and very good on the arbor. I also have "Gears and Gear Cutting" by Ivan Law from Amazon. Great Great book. I have not had a chance to cut any gears yet though. To me that is a very low cost way to cut gears. But time consuming. I also have a rotary table with index plate that I plan to use on the mini mill for this. I have always wanted to learn to cut gears and am excited to give t a try. In the case of the 8x12 it is a way to get the hard to get gears and maybe make some extras. Just need to find out what module and pa they use and you can be in business.

Roy

Buy another from HF with coupons and discounts, sell the first lathe you paid $400 or donate for tax right off if possible. Based on your situation. Hobbist or business cut your loss and move on. Tom

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to keep you inform of my 'progress'. So far, I am only getting some knowledge and no gears yet. I think I rushed on buying a fly cutter, because I did not know about gear cutters. The fly cutter has not arrived, it comes with a blank hss bar that I will have to shape in the grinder. Mount it on the chuck and see how can i hold a blank disc that I need to rotate without and index plate but with same precision :)...I might build an acrylic one and see what happens.

Well, I never thought that the update would come so quickly. See, I had forgotten the recommendation of Roy to call HF. That was the solution all along. For only $3.99 each gear. Of course I placed the order - 10 to 12 weeks for delivery vs 12 months from LMS, no brainer.
The only problem is that now I am really hooked on the idea of build one myself, but that is not a bad problem of course :)

Thank you everybody, I suppose that you will see me around and hopefully I can help others too in the no too distant future

Hi
Some threads call for two of the same gear.
Check on a threading gear change chart.
If your lathe is a 7 x10 or 7x12 joing the 7x12 Yahoo group.
Good people and a restricted group so you will miss all the sex ads :<)

Hi
Some threads call for two of the same gear.
Check on a threading gear change chart.
If your lathe is a 7 x10 or 7x12 joing the 7x12 Yahoo group.
Good people and a restricted group so you will miss all the sex ads :<)
Hi Dk, mine is a 8x14 (sold as 8x12 by HF) I took a look at the 7x10 today at the store and it really looks like a baby next to the 8x12/14. A lathe, it is a lathe, I suppose, do you think that I can benefit from joining their group? (I don't know about the 7x12)
I might ask them.
Thank you.

The manual shows 2 70 gears required for some threads. The parts list also shows 2 70 tooth gears. Manual shows the change gears are module 1 metric.

Back