Looking for change gears

misterwalrus

Registered
Registered
Hi,
This is my first post ever. I just bought a used 8x12 HF (44859). I thought I made a good deal buying at $400.00. Not sure any more. It is missing a lot of change gears. If I am understanding it correctly it should come with 16 change gears when you buy it from Harbor Freight.
I only have 5 gears (70,35,30,100 teeth).
Do you have an advice on how to go around this issue. I can't find anybody selling the set of change gears for this model, or the Lathemaster 8x14, which I heard is basically the same thing.

Thank you very much,
Andres

I think Little Machine Shop sells the change gears for that lathe. Hopefully someone else on here will know what gears you should have.

Thank you tweinke for replying to my post,
I did contact them but they have to order them and it will take 12 months for delivery. I am hoping someone can give me another provider or solution.

Have you tried calling the harbor freight service dept? Sometimes they can get parts pretty quick. I looked at eBay and found nothing. Grizzly has some 8" lathes that may be a source for compatible gears.

Roy

Hi Roy,
It did cross my mind to call Harbor Freight but then I convinced myself it was not going to help. Based on your advice I'll try tomorrow and call them.
Regarding the Grizzly option, I am really afraid of getting an incompatible set. I will look it up anyway and if it is possible ask their people for compatibility with my lathe. Worst thing that could happen is that they don't know.

Thank you very much,
Andres

This may sound stupid but, I noticed that Harbor Freight still sells the 44859 lathe and the manual is downloadable. Might be a good idea to get the manual then take inventory of what you have verses the manual before calling so that you only pay shipping etc. once. and in the worst case scenario the manual does list the modular pitch of the gears in the geartrain.

TW, I have been doing that, not in a very disciplined way I admit it though. I am missing the threading dial too. I will take your advice and do the hard work.

Boy it sure would be nice if there was an easy button for this kind of stuff, and possibly a Star trek transporter so that the parts would appear quickly! :encourage:

Boy it sure would be nice if there was an easy button for this kind of stuff, and possibly a Star trek transporter so that the parts would appear quickly! :encourage:

Now if only i could cast my own...

I have seen a lot of those import gear sets on all the sell sites.
Maybe gears from another import? Bore or bush the center hole.
The HF lathe manual is below.

Kijiji gears .gif

Attachments

• 44859.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
I count 16 change gears: 30,35,40,45,48,50,60,66,68,70,70,72,75,80,90,100 - leaving you needing 11 gears.

Pleas keep us informed about your progress. I will still try to find some gears. No guarantee of success.

Roy

Back