Looking for a stiff bristle Scrub brush

My decades of "research" have shown that, for me, the best solution is this:

1) a really good nail brush:
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...0259-the-worlds-kindest-nail-brush?item=CA203
(CAD $13 a dozen..... what's that a quarter USD $ a piece?)

The bristles are tapered; you can use them over cuts with gentle pressure, but the harder you scrub the better they clean!

_and_

2) a decent soap the cuts most oil and grease:
"SoftSoap" liquid hand soap

get the "SoftSoap" brand not a knock-off!
Initially work this in with minimal water to get everything loose, and then rinse it all off.

The real beauty is that this solution is NOT expensive.

NOTE: I previously used an "orange pumice" type of hand soap, but I eventually developed a bad reaction to that; extremely dry, raw, bloody skin on my knuckles. Very painful.

-brino

I just need a stiff brush. Mine just got used up. And the new ones in the stores are soft as a baby's behind.

If I would remember, or I would put on some barrier cream... but it's in the shop, and not in the garage... I know I should get another. But often, I just get to work, and then go ... oh yea, I shoulda put that on.

I use a pumice based cleaner, fast orange... but it's not enough.
Just looking for a new scrub brush that's not made for the ladies.. seems like that's what they are catering to in the stores.

I use an old scotchbrite pad with something like Cherrybomb cleaner for that really nasty stuff. Gets around the nails good too.

Basic chemistry says " like disolves like" Hands are greasy, get some new grease rub yours hand, wipe clean and then use your favourite hand cleaner.

My decades of "research" have shown that, for me, the best solution is this:

NOTE: I previously used an "orange pumice" type of hand soap, but I eventually developed a bad reaction to that; extremely dry, raw, bloody skin on my knuckles. Very painful.

-brino
I get the raw hands in winter. My hands dry out too. I wind up using bag balm (for cow udders) and moisturizer. I do the bag balm when needed, one nights sleep is enough to give me a reprieve from the bleeding and open cuts. I'm always amazed how well it works. My wife hates the smell and always uses O'Keefes, but it doesn't work, her hands are always open in the winter, and she refuses to try bag balm because of the smell. She's a stubborn one. She insists O'Keefes works, but it doesn't... her hands are raw.

For the really dirty dirt, I use GoJo hand cleaner and before I wash it off a shot of Dawn dish detergent. The liquid hand soaps used to work well but a couple of years ago, they changed the formulation.. This was true for both Dial and SoftSoap. For the cases when you have deep cracks in your hide where it is impossible to get the dirt out, my wife has a tool for removing dry skin and calluses. It has grit embedded in a stainless steel plate and works well for that final cleaning. It also is useful for thinning the hide prior to the cold weather cracking season.

Dr Bronner's liquid castile soap gets my hands cleaner than any other soap.

I use a lava rock with a bar of soap... that gets all my fingers clean... I have had this rock for almost 20 years...

Then a stiff brush for around the nails... that part is easy...

IMG_2685.jpeg

I recommend a boars hair bristle brush. The ones I have are stiff but don't scratch my skin like a synthetic bristle brush does so I can really scrub away with one.

Back