[Newbie] Looking for a part that may or may not exist: bolt-on Clevis post?

Are you looking for a way to attach your keychain to a piece of aluminum, ...why not just drill and tap the receiver piece itself?

The keychain is just an inspiration. Basically, I'm trying to find an easy way to make a sign-board where I can quickly swap out parts of the message by removing and re-hanging, but I need it to be wind-resistant, and I'd like it to be cheap. I was going to just use a small clevis pin and a small cotter pin,

61LDe-DZeuL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

but there's a slight bit of torque on the clevis in that setup, and it would work better if the pin was square to the aluminum sheet... so my choices were either epoxy or find something screw mounted.

Truth be told, a chicago screw might work better, but it's slower to take apart.

.why not just drill and tap the receiver piece itself?

I once made a cut with a circular saw that was un-true in all 3 axis. Mechanical hardware and I don't get along.

Screw anchors are not exactly what you asked for (often the case) but as close comes to mind right now.
Your reference to flat head screws suggests that you want the back side of the panel rather smooth.
The spring anchors have male threads which would require either the use of nuts or threading the panel and gluing them in.
They are also expensive, IMHO, and might have to shortened for your application.
A much less expensive and DIY way to go would be to start with threaded spacers of the dimensions you require and drill the cross holes yourself.
A third option is to make a sketch of what you want and start a thread in the "CAN YOU MAKE SOMETHING FOR ME?" sub-forum.

Had to think (who, me, think? Surely Sir, you jest) about it for a while, but I finally remembered where I had seen them. I know exactly what you're looking for and the pins used as document binders are what you are asking about. Only problen is that they may be too small, Nr10-32 (3/16") threads as I recall. Length is not a problem, there are "stretchers" from 1/2" to several inches long, female on one end, male on the other.

Picture in your mind making a book from fan-fold computer paper with the "binding" bolted together. It's been a few years since I worked around mainframes and chain printers, if such things still even exist, but such binding supplies should still exist at office suppliers. I think some "blue box" stores like "Office Depot" might not have them, possibly need to look for some on-line, full spectrum supplier.

I make a part for my models that is as described, but probably too small. I take a 1/8" brazing rod and drill and tap the end for Nr 2-56 screws then cross drill. Use a small "R" hitch clip to hold the other end.

Bill Hudson​

Last edited:
some better help if you answer these
approx how heavy is your sign and how high is it going to hang
dimensions would help and the thickness of the aluminum
does it just hang on a sidewalk frame or on a wall or high enough that you have to use a ladder to remove it
thanks----- Dave

Okay, so are you trying to come up with a DIY version of something like this?

I used to have a movable letter sign at my business and my experience was it took an incredible amount of letters to spell even a very simple message. We can definitely help you learn to make square cuts but if your goal is simply having a movable letter sign I'd suggest you start adding up the cost of the components you plan on using. If you don't already have some of the stuff it might be cheaper to just buy a sign rather than building one.

If you really want to build your sign board epoxy will probably hold just fine as long as you prep both surfaces well. You'll still have the issue of layout however.

Cheers,

John

There are quarter turn fasteners that are used to secure electronics panels. My old Tektronix scope has them.

I'm trying to find an easy way to make a sign-board where I can quickly swap out parts of the message by removing and re-hanging, but I need it to be wind-resistant, and I'd like it to be cheap. I was going to just use a small clevis pin and a small cotter pin,
... it would work better if the pin was square to the aluminum sheet.
Maybe you could just buy clevis pins, drill your holes to poke 'em through the sheet, and
rivet a backer strip over the heads (backside, where it doesn't show) to keep 'em attached.

There are quarter turn fasteners that are used to secure electronics panels. My old Tektronix scope has them.

Dzus (brand or inventor name) 1/4 turn fasteners. Used extensively on metal aircraft

Back