[Newbie] Looking for a part that may or may not exist: bolt-on Clevis post?

bigfatguy

Registered
Registered
First off, I'm not a machinist. I'm an electronics nerd, but I have a hardware (metal, not silicon) question, and I'm hoping I can hit you good folks up for some advice.

here's a part from my keychain.
EJDoUBc.jpg

It separates, so you can give keys to a valet or something.
That part on the right is, basically, a "clevis" post, but instead of the rivet head on one side there is a "female" socket to accept the spring-loaded part on the left.
aJRNZuR.jpg

I'm thinking, if this exists, is there such a thing as a clevis that's held in place by a machine screw? Something I could bolt onto a bit of counter-sunk aluminum sheet?
(Shown here with god-awful artwork to fill in the missing parts)
6BrrEAZ.jpg

The closest I've been able to find is something apparently meant to route cables and brake lines on a motorcycle, but the bolt-head is a lot bigger and more obtrusive than I'm looking for... I'm hoping to find a part with a diameter in the 6mm range.

Any advice?

Allen head machine screw? I'm not visualizing your final objective.
1587250495588.png

would this work?
Cheers
Martin

Hi and welcome,

Are you looking for a way to attach your keychain to a piece of aluminum, or is this for something bigger? I guess I'm asking how much of a load does it need to hold? It might help if we knew what the ultimate goal was, I can think of some sailboat parts that might work but not sure where you're going with this. If it's just a way to attach the existing keychain part (I have one on my keychain too) why not just drill and tap the receiver piece itself?

Cheers,

John

I did an image search for “keychain coupler” and came up with these. Some of them look kind of promising if I understand the wants of the OP correctly.

-frank

DAAFD5F0-F4AF-4B5A-B0AC-CAAC9BAD7C70.png

Basically, I know machine screws exist, but is there a female-threaded clevis type thing I could put on the business end of the machine screw. :)
Well, big ones are called eye nuts... https://www.mcmaster.com/eyebolts/eye-nuts-for-lifting/ and
some smaller items, eye bolts, could be used glued into a threaded spacer. If, though, you want
the shape of a clevis, you'd want to do some metal-cutting on rod stock, or on a clevis.

they are called lifting eye nuts
---some are female threaded and some are studs that need a nut

So Big Fat Guy, Straight Outa

Does this help? Is it for your mini bike? I had a lot of customers in your town building some pretty bad a$$ mini bikes back in the day....

Shoot us some pictures of what you need this thing for and we might be able to give better advice.

John

P.S. some of us here do electronics too...

Back