Closed Looking for a 4" or 6" Bridgeport riser

Great that it worked out, I had read someone else who had to do the same thing to get their riser to fit, so some slight variations.

Well, surprise, the riser did not fit, but it’s real close, seems like in this case the od of the ring that finds down into the big base is just a few thousandths too big…it starts to go in, feels like it could be hammered in, but that is where the rotation happens. Of course now the mill is inop, so I’m taking my rotary table, the riser and everything else I can think of to a friend’s shop, will use his Bridgeport to trim a bit off the riser.

I’ll report further.

I used an engine hoist, worked OK, but I think if I ever do this again, I will lift with the knee. Oh, also, the bolts that came with the new riser were too short by an inch or so, and worse, the spider is a 1/2-12 Whiworth, apparently. I could not find long enough 1/2-12 bolts, so I cut up 12” lengths of 1/2” rod, single pinpoint threaded the 12TPI end and used my Geometric die and zipped through the 1/2-13 ends. I will use a nut on the upper end of the bolt. And so it goes.

Post #2 has a description on riser installation. I basically copied this when I did mine. There is a picture on post #9. I drilled my pieces of tubing and bolt them together/ bolt directly to the table vs the toe clamps. I just keep them around in case I decide to remove the riser. Works well! https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/installing-a-riser.333769/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back