Looking for 1/4-24 threaded rod

I suspect the original threads were No.14-24. That is very close to 1/4 -24. I have 14 -24 chasers for my die head. I believe there is enough adjustment in the die head to run either no. 14 or 1/4" threads. I would be happy to run a batch for you if you provide the material and shipping. I prefer Stressproof or Fatigueproof for machinability. 4140 is OK also. All will have better strength than annealed O1. I would like to have a sample of an original rod and a close fitting nut. That way I can get an accurate measurement of the pitch diameter and can estimate the tolerance I would need to maintain.

I suspect the original threads were No.14-24. That is very close to 1/4 -24. I have 14 -24 chasers for my die head. I believe there is enough adjustment in the die head to run either no. 14 or 1/4" threads. I would be happy to run a batch for you if you provide the material and shipping. I prefer Stressproof or Fatigueproof for machinability. 4140 is OK also. All will have better strength than annealed O1. I would like to have a sample of an original rod and a close fitting nut. That way I can get an accurate measurement of the pitch diameter and can estimate the tolerance I would need to maintain.
Thanks, I have another offer in the works. Let me see how that goes and if I still need assistance I will let you know.

Thanks, one of the members of the forum is already going to make a few of them for me at this point.Thanks

Hi guys, I am looking for a couple of 24" long 1/4-24 threaded rods made of O1 tool steel. (the material needs to be tougher than mild steel since there will be some wear/pressure on the threads) Can anyone give me a source for this or be willing to make me a couple for a fee? Thanks
I think you could get a price from a company that makes all thread rod. They thread roll the threads and that makes the threads STRONGER then cut threads. They might be able to use standard 24 pitch rolls that they use for 5/16 24 pitch
all thread that comes in 36 inch lengths.
And they make all thread in different types of material.
Look in phone book or google machine shops that roll threads. They thread roll almost all store bought bolts. Or you could roll 5 inch long pieces.
I used to even have knurls rolled on 1 1/2 316 stainless steel and they always came out great.

I think you could get a price from a company that makes all thread rod. They thread roll the threads and that makes the threads STRONGER then cut threads. They might be able to use standard 24 pitch rolls that they use for 5/16 24 pitch
all thread that comes in 36 inch lengths.
And they make all thread in different types of material.
Look in phone book or google machine shops that roll threads. They thread roll almost all store bought bolts. Or you could roll 5 inch long pieces.
I used to even have knurls rolled on 1 1/2 316 stainless steel and they always came out great.
Thanks for the info!

as was indicated by others, Harley used 1/4-24 UNS threads on their bikes back in the day. i can advise that they used that thread on every 1/4" fastener they had on bikes in the 40's. the OP will not find a reproduction fastener with the all threaded length he needs from any parts sources for antique Harley's. Harley 45's used the 1/4-24 UNS thread on some studs that would give the length needed, for example, the engine case studs, however, they were not all thread, but rather threaded only at the ends. Harley (and Indian) used a lot of "odd" threads back then. info on the UNS threads is in Machinery's handbook. i purchased a tap and die for the 1/4-24 and several others that HD used.

The rod will be used to replace worn vertical posts for 100 year old Union hand planes (the X series) this is what it looks like in a refurbed plane View attachment 397586
In looking at the application, the threaded section only moves under non-load conditions. That is to say blade adjustments are made
when plaining is stopped. My thought is that tool steel won't be needed to used and other alloys may be very reliable. I took a look at McMaster-Carr and found: Hardened Super-Corrosion-Resistant 316 Stainless Steel Threaded Rods—Grade B8M. Have you seen this alloy?
Cheers, Terry

I think the material should be chosen for machinability not strength. It is important to get a good finish on the threads both for appearance and smooth functioning. The brass nuts will wear out before the screw. A rough thread will accelerate the wear in the nuts. Stainless would look out of place on a 100 year old plane restoration. Go for 1100 or 1200 series steels.

Back