LOOK WHAT I PICKED UP FOR $50 !!!! Tool Gloat

Nice find! I've been using one that I inherited from my wife's Grandfather - pretty sure it was dated 1956 - first model run for sure. A lot of miles (RPM"S) on it in the last 30+ years at my house, and I KNOW her Grandpa used it a lot too - I saw many of the things he made with it.

if you tell me the serial # i can tell you the year ,or you can go to

shopsmith.com

and navigate to the serial number section.

Thanks for offering - I did that long ago.....I just can't remember for sure if it was 1956, but I'm 90% sure....

............... so I went and looked again - #338448.

Yep Brassmagnet, it's 56' alright!
1956' serial#'s were from s/n 316979 to 347643
they made 30,664 that year!

the unit looks well taken care of, thanks for posting the pics and comments!

I suspect that CA# is someone's California DL to mark it in case it gets stolen :( Done on firearms all the time...

JP

The quil bearings got an upgrade in the 90's They went to a double row angular contact bearing on the output end of the quil and added a single row bearing to the back of the quil. The angular contact bearing series is the 520? brearings

I change out the lower quil bearings to that sereis on any drill press that i'm converting to milling and it resolves the thrust issue on a drill press.

I have used the shop smith for power to a wood band saw to slow it down for metal cutting and have had good luck with them. When running slower then the motor speed the torgue increase is substantial compared to a comporable HP DC vary drive The upper end speed torque is very similiar to a DC drive.
I use my shopsmith mostly for horizontal boring and a wood lathe for freehand turning i use my metal lathe for high tolerance turning of casting patterns etc.

have fun

art

Why arant I around when these bargains are offered. Congratulations have fun using it.

Ian (seagar)

Cool cl find, just what you needed, another project! LOL That's my problem, too many projects and not enough time. Funny about the almond jamming the works up, who would look for that? Oh I almost forgot......YOU SUCK!........LOL

The quil bearings got an upgrade in the 90's They went to a double row angular contact bearing on the output end of the quil and added a single row bearing to the back of the quil. The angular contact bearing series is the 520? bearings
I change out the lower quil bearings to that sereis on any drill press that i'm converting to milling and it resolves the thrust issue on a drill press.
I have used the shop smith for power to a wood band saw to slow it down for metal cutting and have had good luck with them. When running slower then the motor speed the torgue increase is substantial compared to a comporable HP DC vary drive The upper end speed torque is very similiar to a DC drive.
I use my shopsmith mostly for horizontal boring and a wood lathe for freehand turning i use my metal lathe for high tolerance turning of casting patterns etc.
art

thanks, Art!!!
the angular contact bearings are a nice touch! i may just have to incorporate them into my scheme....:thinking:
i already see the coolness of the old girl!!
cant wait to make some dust!
:))

Cool cl find, just what you needed, another project! LOL That's my problem, too many projects and not enough time. Funny about the almond jamming the works up, who would look for that? Oh I almost forgot......YOU SUCK!........LOL

thanks Greg!
the best i can figure,
the motor was detached form the headstock for troubleshooting/repair.
some vermin, most likely squirrels, deposited some nuts inside the unit . the other almonds had just the husk and shell with a small hole on one end where the lil devils had eaten the almond from the center.
it was complete dumb luck, i found it by accident!
if i didn't have the motor off for testing, i wouldn't have found it.
reminds me of an old saying...
i'd rather be lucky than good!

too many projects, and more get dropped in my lap!

what's really weird is that i traded for a south bend lathe, a while back.
the motor wouldn't run because mud dauber wasps made a nest in the motor and jammed the rotor up.
the motor didn't have enough torque to start!!

now this strange almond phenomenon jamming the gearbox, combined with a faulty switch.

i'm getting lucky with the easy fixes lately.
in my normal work, i generally am not so lucky...maybe that's why i feel lucky:thinking:

Great find at a great price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do I always overpay grummbbbllle

Back