LOOK WHAT I PICKED UP FOR $50 !!!! Tool Gloat

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I was surfin' through Cl last night and came across an add for a shop smith mark V for $50.
that caught my attention:thinking:
i clicked the link and sure enough a dust dirty mark 5 "greenie" as they are referred to.
they were manufactured from 1954-1960 in this configuration.
apparently all models can share parts and accessories with ease.
i called the seller and he professed it did'n't run and hasn't run in a long time.
this is right up my alley...:nuts:
VSS1.jpgVSS5.JPG
VSS2.JPG
VSS4.jpeg

i removed the 3/4 hp 115vac drive motor, it is attached to the rear lower motor shield.
the shield is screwed to the head casting.
the wiring is super simple. it has a DPDT on/off switch, a grounded power cord.
a 225 UF start capacitor, the motor has a centrifugal switch inside for start cap.
i replaced the factory DPDT with a 15a DPDT switch, replaced all the wiring spade connectors.
i bench tested the motor. it fired right off no hesitation and sounded good!!!
i did a little homework on the shopsmith and also realized the v belt was bound up inside the headstock.
after a few taps on the headstock, a whole almond, shell and all ,fell out of the v belt pulley.
it freed up the infinite variable drive system and the pullies were able to turn free again!!!!:phew:
i reset the infinite variable drive to the slowest speed, an operation that is easiest done while the transmission is in operation, but can be done with a little patience ,stationary.
i replaced the wiring and remounted the drive motor.
i plugged her in and hit the switch, she fired right off and came back to life.
i ran her at low speed figuring if there was going to be a bearing failure i'd like to control the collateral damage.i kinda created make shift scatter shield .i draped my welding leathers a over the headstock and tied them off with a couple band clamps to prevent movement. i fired the motor back up and slowly cranked the dial and took her up to full speed, somewhere above
5,000 rpm and held her there for about 2 minutes or so.
she didn't really like going that fast, the old bearings started to develop a howl.
i cut the experimentation short, knowing the bearings need replacement.
i'll do the bearing replacement in another thread, complete with pictures and descriptions for those interested.

I welcome comments,questions and stories
thanks for looking!

VSS1.jpg VSS2.JPG VSS3.JPG VSS4.jpeg VSS5.JPG

My dad has one just like that - it was originally my grandfather's, and my dad bought it from him in the early 60's. I've been giving some thought to buying it from my dad when he is ready to get rid of it.

As for the odd number scribed into the machine, is that by chance an 'Operation ID' number?? Operation ID was a theft deterrent program operated by most police departments back in the 70's. They would issue you a number, you would engrave your number on all of your valuable items, then log all of those items, and give the log to the local PD.

This will make ya feel better; RI C/L exact same machine $200

Hah hah! Good for you Doc!
I had one once that I used for a 'drop down' mortiser from the ceiling. Unconventional,mount convenient, since I didn't need to mortise very often!

Bernie

Uncle Buck is absolutely right it is a California drivers license number

My Dad use to engrave his on all his tools .

Also Doc great find

Nice find! I've been using one that I inherited from my wife's Grandfather - pretty sure it was dated 1956 - first model run for sure. A lot of miles (RPM"S) on it in the last 30+ years at my house, and I KNOW her Grandpa used it a lot too - I saw many of the things he made with it.

I have since picked up two more, and one extra motor, just because the "price was right" at the time. One went to my youngest son so he can remodel his home and do all the things I got to do as I started a new family way back when.......:whistle: I did burn up a drive shaft (splines), some bearings, and a few belts trying to make it a metal lathe of sorts, and extremely over burdening it! I have since graduated to a Heavy10 for that kind of stuff, but I still use my ShopSmiths quite frequently..... I'm glad to see another one coming back into production!

IMGP2370.JPGIMGP2371.JPG

IMGP2370.JPG IMGP2371.JPG

thanks guys for the posts!!!keep em' coming!!!

i went to the shopsmith website and found out some more info:
my shopsmith was manufactured in 1955 near the end of the 1955 production year.
her serial number after closer examination and crud removal is 315830.
the machines produced in 1955 were from serial# 288541 to 316979.
that's 28,438 machines in 1955,pretty impressive!

thanks again for reading and participating!

- - - Updated - - -

I think the number is a drivers license number. Those make very heavy duty drill presses due to the size of the bearings.

sometimes the obvious is most overlooked!!!
thanks for catching it for me!:roflmao:

- - - Updated - - -

Uncle Buck is absolutely right it is a California drivers license number

My Dad use to engrave his on all his tools .

Also Doc great find

thank you,Truckin'!
the sun shines on a dog's backside every once and a while!
i actually thought it was gonna be a basketcase..
she needs some bearings and accessories . but i'll put er' back to use real soon!
i already have parts coming as we read.

it's inconceivable to put a DL# on anything now, with the ease of identity theft these days.

- - - Updated - - -

You Suck!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations on saving another cool old machine

I FINALLY GOT A TROPHY!
now i just gotta knock out a wall and expand the shop or encroach on living space:thinking:
thanks Charley!!!

just another point of information, the shopsmith site click the link below for those who don't have it:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/markvindex.htm

Nice find! I've been using one that I inherited from my wife's Grandfather - pretty sure it was dated 1956 - first model run for sure. A lot of miles (RPM"S) on it in the last 30+ years at my house, and I KNOW her Grandpa used it a lot too - I saw many of the things he made with it.

if you tell me the serial # i can tell you the year ,or you can go to

shopsmith.com

and navigate to the serial number section.

Back