Longer stem for indicator

3strucking

Registered
Registered
I have a Mitutoyo 513-403 indicator and I need a longer stem for it. I would like one that is 2” in length or close to it. I see some listed on Amazon, are they worth a try?

Sure. Even better is to get one of the dial indicator tip selection kits - Starrett has a couple nice ones (has about 15 styles of tips). Check the tip thread connection (seems to be the same on most brands - but likely the occasional oddball out there).

I have one of the dial indicator tip sets and didnt think about that. I will have to see if they will work with my indicator.

Long Island Indicator has anything you want, and excellent service if you need to ask questions, etc.

That model is a test indicator, are you asking about a longer contact point or are you looking for a longer reach on the stem? Accuracy is specific to the supplied tip, use a longer tip and the accuracy will go down, the thread is a M1.7x0.35. They do make long reach versions with the longest being 41.0mm in this brand of test indicator. Alternative is they long neck pocket type like the 513-504 and 513-512 series. If it is the stem, there are extenders.

Lots of options. 4-40 is the most common thread in dial indicators.
4-48 for mechanical dial & M2.5-0.45 for digital indicators. You can get indicator tips & extensions in both, and 4-48 to M2.5-0.45 adapters.

I stand corrected...hey! Its been a few years.

No problem; I only knew because I found out the hard way: I have a carriage stop that uses 8mm rod and the only 8mm-mount indicator I could find was digital & none of my long tips would fit.

4-48 for mechanical dial & M2.5-0.45 for digital indicators. You can get indicator tips & extensions in both, and 4-48 to M2.5-0.45 adapters.
The OP's Mitutoyo 513-403 is a test indicator, not a drop indicator. The threading is M1.7x0.35. You can buy or make a longer tip for it, but the absolute reading accuracy will degrade as the tip gets longer because of cosine error. The Mitutoyo 513-403 is calibrated for absolute reading accuracy to a tip that is exactly 0.610" long.

Back