Long term Project

ozzie46

Active User
Registered
Herev are some pics of a locomotive project I've been working on. I've done quite abit already and here is where I'm at now.

I have made the cross heads and profiled the cyls and mounted them. Pics follow.

Set the cross heads up in the mill and machined to lines basically. I used a 1/8 ball end mill here.

DSC02923.jpg

Changed to a 3/16 end mill here.

DSC02926.jpg

DSC02927.jpg

DSC02928.jpg

I silver solder bronze slippers on them and silver soldered the backs on too.

I riveted in the drop link pins to the front of the cross head. I took a page out of Dr. Johns way of doing things and milled the front plate from solid instead of trying to bend the off set for the pin.

DSC02939.jpg

I turned the piston rod ends of the cross heads in the lathe but for got to take pics.

Ron

Have a look at the Cyls and frame.

DSC02930.jpg

Cyls with the steam chest set on it.

DSC02931.jpg

kvom (a member of another) had an idea about using countersunk screws to hold steam chest on the cyls when the cover bolts are removed. I thought it was such a good idea. I pinched it.

DSC02932.jpg

Starting to look like something.

DSC02933.jpg

DSC02935.jpg

DSC02936.jpg

Still have some work to do on the guide bars.

Thank for looking in.

Ron

Thanks Ed.

I don't think I mentioned it but I have not used any castings. everything is machined from solid.

The wheels are aluminum with steel tires. Everything else is steel, cast iron and bronze or brass as needed.

Ron

``

Made the push rods. Started by riveting 2 pieces of stock together. I didn't have any rivets so I used 16 penny finishing nails. They worked like a charm.

I then marked out the profile and sawed it to rough shape on my 4 x 6 saw.

DSC02947.jpg

DSC02945.jpg

I then drilled out the big end an little ends and made mandrels to fit the drilled holes as I drilled them to the size of thOD of the bushings. I drilled and reamed the mandrels .250 and mounted the roughed out blanks on a piece of 1/4 thick angle iron for machining.

DSC02948.jpg

Here they are after machining and sanding. Still have to make the bushings.

DSC02950.jpg

DSC02951.jpg

Very nice work, thanks for sharing. ;0

That's one thing I appreciate about home/hobbyist machinists. Since there's no time pressure because of profit concern, you guys always find a way, often an unorthodox, to get the job done. This is turning out very nicely. Even if it takes a little longer, and you have limited machines, it still comes out just fine.

Well done!

Looks really great, keep up the good work.
Nick

Back