Logan for Monkey Wards

Logan Novice

Registered
Registered
Manufactured by Logan Lathe for Montgomery Ward (Powr-Kraft 10x24 inch Mod. 64TLC-2180
Mfg. Date 1941 Serial Number 2403) before Logan marketed it under their own name.
It features a 43 inch bed with 24 inches between centers, 10 inch swing over bed. The headstock is #3MT, tail-stock #2MT.
It was a rust bucket when I got it. Did a rebuild (not restoration) and now it is in very good condition, weighs a whopping 500#(+/-), and fully operational.
I was lucky enough to get it with chuck, original tool post and original open saddle center rest.
Replaced the motor (which wasn't original anyway) with a Grizzly 3HP 1725 RPM model so the speeds are currently adjustable 1145/217, 725/121, 405/68.
It has a chip pan, cast iron legs and a number of accessories.
I picked up a complete set of threading change gears (12 gears in all)

Onea.jpgPICT5726.JPGTwo.JPGThree.JPGFour.JPGIMG_20201013_160117050.jpg

Onea.jpgPICT5726.JPGTwo.JPGThree.JPGFour.JPG

Last edited:
Nice! What belt did you put on it? I have one just like it to clean up and get running. I really like the base and chip pan. Mines on a home made one. The legs weigh almost what the lathe does.

Nice! What belt did you put on it? ...

The first belt I used was purchased locally. I wore that one out and bought the next one from this guy:

I fully disassembled the lathe so I had parts laying all over the shop. A lot of the parts were pretty rusty so I used this method to remove the rust:

and replaced a couple of broken gears.

Most difficult part was removal/disassembly and reinstalling the carriage.

But it was all well worth the effort. I didn't repaint it because I thought that ruined the authenticity of the aged appearance.

You should have 12 speeds. Missing the 2 step motor pulley ?

You should have 12 speeds. Missing the 2 step motor pulley ?

You are perfectly correct. I just ignore the 2 step motor pulley when it isn't absolutely necessary to enter the realm of that other six speed series because it's a real hassle to realign pulleys to achieve that setup. :angel:

Last edited:
There shouldn’t be any realigning of pulleys necessary. Just move the belt over to the other steps.

There shouldn’t be any realigning of pulleys necessary. Just move the belt over to the other steps.
The motor drives a step pulley that connects to the lathe's drive pulley set. So using only one section of the step pulley limits the choices of spindle speeds to six. Moving the belt to the second notch in the step pulley (at the motor) provides another set of six; for a total of twelve possible. But when the belt is moved to the second notch on the step pulley it no longer lines up with the drive pulley so it has to be moved to another spot on the motor's shaft and/or the motor needs to be readjusted on its mounting bracket to ensure proper V-belt tension and alignment. It's really a PITA.

... I really like the base and chip pan. Mines on a home made one. The legs weigh almost what the lathe does.

My original lathe stand was probably something like yours. 4X4 posts with 2x4 rails rabbeted into the top ends supporting a glue laminated 2x4 table top, a bottom plywood shelf dadoed to the legs with 2x4 frame and all joints bolted and glued using ½ inch carriage bolts. I added a dadoed 2x4 rail on all sides half way between the bottom shelf and the top for make sure it was stiff enough. It was so heavy that when I used wedges to level it to the concrete floor it never moved.

Back