Logan 6561h Compound Dial

RandyM

Mr. Deliberate
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well, I got to messing around with the compound dial on my Logan 6561H and disassembled it. Now I have problem. Underneath Item 56 in the diagram are some balls and springs (Items 4 & 5), 3 each. Item 56 is threaded on to Item 66 so when you screw it on the balls do not want to cooperate. I am looking for ideas on how to solve this, what say you. I think I see a special tool in my future. Anyone else come across this problem? I see I'll have the same issue with the cross slide.Compound.jpg

Are the balls simply dropping out of wherever they go? I've used sticky wheel bearing grease to "glue" balls into place long enough to assemble a part.

Last edited:
I just used some white lithium grease to "glue" them in place.

I tried the grease trick and the friction of Item 56 pops the bearing out of the spring. It seems the holes that hold the springs are a bit over size and the spring deflects radially as you tighten item 56 on to the shaft. Once the spring deflects, the bearing doesn't stay put.

Can you turn 56, 57 and 58 all together? Or take the compound off of the cross slide and stand it up with the screw and springs vertical?

Randy when I did mine I had the compound off and standing on its end. Another thing that seemed to help was pushing the assembly down completely then inserting the allen heads.

Can you turn 56, 57 and 58 all together? Or take the compound off of the cross slide and stand it up with the screw and springs vertical?

Good point, I think that the number dial could turn with the cover. Silly me.

Randy when I did mine I had the compound off and standing on its end. Another thing that seemed to help was pushing the assembly down completely then inserting the allen heads.

Thanks guys, I made a simple little tool that worked perfectly. I'll get you a pic of it.

Are you rebuilding your lathe?

Hi Rich,

It really is on the list of things to do. I just got to tinkering around with the last couple of weekends and one thing led to another. So, long story short, the compound and cross slide were in such a mess I finally cleaned them up for now. Here a pic of the tool I (in the end didn't have to make) and a couple of more of the fun.

DSC02712.JPG DSC02713.JPG DSC02714.JPG DSC02715.JPG DSC02717.JPG

Randy would it be possible for you to get me the dimensions on item 43. It is for the compound lock, mine was missing. It can be removed by taking the threading dial off and unscrewing the screw.

Attachments

• SKM_284e17010307490.pdf
    260 KB · Views: 10
Back