Logan 12" expert? Need help replacing cross slide

Scott,

According to the 1963 Logan catalog that we have, the 2557 as shipped was a 12x35 engine lathe (they called it a screw cutting lathe). The models that Logan called turret lathes are the same except that they have the double-tool cross slide fitted in place of the standard cross slide. Which has been done to yours. But they also have a bed type hexagon turret fitted in place of the tailstock. Unfortunately, your photo doesn't show enough of the right half of the lathe to see what else is on the bed. Looking at the ebay photos you can see where the compound attaches, with the engraved degree markings (missing the black paint fill). The very poor catalog photo of the taper attachment for 12" shows the standard compound fitted. The text says that if you install the taper attachment cross slide, it becomes a permanent part of the lathe. But before you mount the rest of the taper attachment to the back of the lathe, you crank the cross slide nut off of the cross feed screw and remove the nut. So from all of that, I conclude that the eBay cross slide will replace the double tool cross slide and do what you want. You will just have to have the lathe far enough away from whatever is behind it to be able to to get the longer cross slide off the back end of the carriage dove tail. Or of course, you could cut the tapered "T" cross section part off of the back which would turn it into a standard cross slide. I can't tell from the listing how much time is left on the listing, but there are 6 watchers. So I wouldn't dilly-dally around if you want it.

I forgot to add that you can download the 1963 Logan catalog from our DOWNLOADS and read the same things that I read. Just be sure to navigate all of the way down to the Logan & Wards Catalogs Category before you start scanning the page for it. Unfortunately, the Xenforo Resources module that we adapted to DOWNLOADS is totally lacking in all sort capability. Everything shows up latest upload first. And there are nearly 2000 files that you'll have to scan through one at a time if you try to find it that way.

20170923_180832.jpg 20170923_180824.jpg I made a mistake from memory, it is actually a 2537vh lathe, it does have the turret as a tailstock.

How much room do I need for qctp? Will my 1" limit me on the size cutting tools I can use?

Can someone tell me on a standard cross Slide the distance between the center of the spindle to the top of the compound?

On my 2557V, bout 3-11/16" down the the top of the cross slide and about an inch down to the top of the compound where the QCTP mounts.

I have a South Bend heavy 10. It has just over 1 inch from the top of the compound to center.
I use a KDK size 0 toolpost. Most of my holders fit 3/8 HSS bits. Also a 3/4 diameter boring bar.
This toolpost can use size 1 tool holders that use 1/2 inch bits.
I machined my own block to hold 1/2 inch bits.
An Aloris AXA setup should work similarly.

Scott,

OK on the 2537. It came with the double-tool cross slide, then. In any case, the taper cross slide will fit it.

I don't have a Logan, but an Atlas 3996 12x36, The top of my cross slide is 1-3/32" below the spindle center-line. Most of my tooling is either 3.8" squire or 1/2" diameter. I use a Yuasa AXA or 100 Series QCTP and with 3/8" cutter shanks the holder is about mid way between bottoming on the top of the compound and being flush with the top of the TP. I can also run 1/2" tooling but don't usually because it doesn't work any better and costs more. I have a couple of oversize holders that will take 5/8" tooling that also fit OK. I doubt that I could run a BXA and 1/2" tooling but as I don't have any BXA components, can't say for sure.

Thanks gentlemen for the replies and help. I was under the impression that I needed more clearance than what I had. I have the original tool post for the dual cross slide, and what appears to be a "non Logan" compound. From what everyone says, it looks like this should work ok with an ACA tool post. I think I can use the turret in place of a standard tailstock for the things I want to do.

I'm going to pass on the Ebay item I referenced, in case anyone else is interested.

This turret lathe is not exactly what I wanted. What I wanted was a standard screw cutting version. I guess that rather than change the cross slide, my best bet would be to find a tailstock and standard cross slide/saddle and swap everything out at once.

In the mean time, I'll do my best with what I have.

What is an "ACA" tool post?

Back