Logan 12" expert? Need help replacing cross slide

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a 2557 turret lathe. It has the dual tool post cross slide. I would like to have a standard cross slide and compound. I have found what is marked as a taper cross slide for a 12" logan, and would like someone who knows to tell me if this will replace what I have to turn it into a standard cross slide and compound.

It's on an Ebay auction and I have already contacted the seller asking for more info. Hope I'm not breaking any rules posting a link to the auction asking about it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOGAN-12-03...mp-GIB-PLATE-/162592508425?fromMakeTrack=true

Will that, replace what I have here:

and turn this into a 'standard' cross slide with compound?

Scott

The ebay cross slide listing is for a taper attachment , I think you'll need other parts to make it work.
What dose the turret x slide not do ,

This. It is only a small part of the taper attachment.
I don't need the entire taper attachment I only need a cross slide. Will that piece not replace the Dual tool post cross slide so that I can put a standard Compound on it?

It appears you have a compound on the cross slide, what dose it not do? Might get a QCTP for it
Do you have a tail stock . I'm not a Logan expert "or any expert for that matter" :confused:
But I wish I had a dual post x slide on my SB10 L and not the taper attachment

I to don't understand why you want to change it out. That cross slide I'd love to have on my logan. What do you think your missing? It's a wanted add on by most machinist. So much so newer lathes have the slots to mount rear cutting tool post.

Two big problems with the current setup are number one the top of the compound before you ever add a quick change tool post is about 1 inch below the center line of the lathe. The second problem is there is a compound on it but there are no degree marks to choose an angle for the compound.

The eBay part won't help that.

Here's what mine looks like with an AXA toolpost.

Last edited:
Do you have two cross slides on your lathe? One fixed, and one movable?

It's your lathe but most compounds that are on lathes can't be trusted . As far as the one inch clearance how much do you want , with a qctp there are two models for the 12" Logan , a and b either one will fit the one you have. If you find one let me know how much you want for the cross slide you have. Or trade. Up to you logan may have one in stock but it'll cost from them.

Back