Lodge and Shipley 16"x8' Model X Lathe

Take a really good look at any gears that were meshing with the stripped one, and also look at all the gears for damage from pieces that might have been thrown around when the gear stripped. Make sure you know the big picture before looking too hard for just the one gear.

Hello fellas,

Thanks for all of the helpful, and kind words... :)

I'm way too stubborn... errrmmmm.... "determined" to give up on this lathe yet.

Bob, your advice is spot on. I will be going down to the shop, later on this morning, to do a thorough inspection of the mating gears as well. I will have to remove the top of the head stock, as well as the oiling trays, and get in there with a good light and a mirror. I will also try to determine just what the damaged gear did, as far as speeds, etc.

I'll be back after lunch with an update.

Brian :)

Well, I am back from the shop with an update. The mating gear is also toast, with manner hammered over teeth. The good news is, these two gears only engage each other, and no other gears throughout the selectors range. It does mean that I have lost 6 speeds out of 24 speeds, but they are spread out through the range of speeds. I still will try to find replacement gears, but in the meantime, I might pull both of the shafts, to remove any remaining teeth, to get them balanced to avoid vibration, until I can do a proper repair.

Here's a pic of the mating gear...

IMG_0544 (768x1024).jpg

It has at least 6 damaged teeth. It will be a complicated job to pull both of the shafts, but I think that I am up to it.

Here's the location of the shafts at the rear of the head stock...

IMG_0556 (768x1024).jpgIMG_0557 (1024x768).jpg

Brian

Brain,

Wish I could offer a word of encouragement here. That's going to be a chore pulling those two shafts.
Try not to hammer on them. If they are not drilled and tapped in the ends or the shafts, do so. That way, you can use a slide hammer to aid in pulling them. Dad had a slide hammer he put together just for jobs like this. I have it now, and it's handy at times. I recall dad talking about tearing into the headstocks of the Lodge & Shipley lathes back in the days when he used to work on them. Wished I remembered some of the things he used to tell us kids when we were younger.

You may be able to get stock gears and bore them to fit the shafts.

Unfortunately, the shafts are multi-splined shafts...
That just makes it a little more challenging to do. Person would have to study the spline and determine what style it is and go from there. Machinery's Handbook has a very good reference on splines. I personally have not cut one, but I have seen it done. A vertical slotter would be a big help. If you can find a gear shop that cuts gears, they more than likely have the equipment to cut splines, too.

Hello gang :)

This forum was looking a little empty, so I went out and bought a L&S lathe... ;)

I have been casually looking for a larger lathe for some time now, and this one showed up on the local Kijiji ads. The pictures were a little fuzzy, so I arranged to go have a look at it, a week ago, a half hour's drive away from me.

View attachment 243600

It was way bigger in person... !!! :eek: The owner had won it in an auction when the local Potash mine closed down, and had planned on using it to turn large wooden bowls. He doesn't have 3 phase power and the motor is wired 575 volts, so he just never got around to it and decided to sell it. So, I didn't get the chance to see it run, but I got him to take the head stock cover off and had a look inside. Everything looked brand new and still nice and oily. The ways also look to be in real nice shape, so I bought it. It took me the rest of last week to move stuff around in my shop to make room. I hired a local tilt-and-tow wrecker, who is an excellent operator, to move the lathe for me.

Here's a few pics of the move....

View attachment 243601View attachment 243602

View attachment 243604

I'll post this for now....

Brian :)
Nice machine

Hello all,

I think that I will have a go at the shaft removal process today. I won't likely get it all done, but I will get a good start on it.

First, I am heading out into the woods, to swap out my SD cards on a couple of game cameras. I am studying a family of coyotes. The temperature, factoring the wind chill, is - 40° !!! :eek 2: Coincidentally, it is the same temperature when converted to Fahrenheit. I'll turn the heat on in the shop, before I go.

I'll be back later on this afternoon, with some progress.

Brian

Back