Lodge and Shipley 16"x8' Model X Lathe

I thought so..... on my parts list, it shows the acme nut, integral to the lower half of the compound, yet, in my case, the nut is separate and bronze... keyed and bolted to the lower half. Interesting changes that took place in a short period of time.

Brian

I thought so..... on my parts list, it shows the acme nut, integral to the lower half of the compound, yet, in my case, the nut is separate and bronze... keyed and bolted to the lower half. Interesting changes that took place in a short period of time.

Brian
That's indication the nut has been replaced over the years, similar as I did on mine. Lodge & Shipley has always had a integral nut on their compound slide. I don't have a service parts manual on the Powerturn lathe, which came out in 1955-56, I believe they changed to a replaceable nut at that time.
Ken

Well, that's interesting, Ken..... the replacement job looks very professionally done with the key and all. I'll have to take it back apart to show that section. In the meantime, I placed the compound dial in my electrolysis tank, to cut the rust back. Now, it is soaking in penetrating oil. I am trying to free up the micrometer sleeve from the dial itself. I am assuming that it would have been able to revolve freely on the dial, and then tightened in some manner to execute a cut.

Also, I ended up purchasing a McCrosky turret tool post for the lathe, and it arrived a couple of days ago.

IMG_0323 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0324 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0325 (1024x768).jpg

It will do the job for me, as a good quality quick change system is way too expensive for what I do.

Brian

Cool! Them are the king of the day in it's time. I could have kicked myself for tossing one we had at the family homestead when we were cleaning up. It was hugh!

I spent a few hours in the shop, yesterday afternoon, and worked on getting both micrometer dials pressed apart, as both were frozen up. The cross feed dial pressed apart rather easily, but I had to make an adapter to press out the compound dial, as the dial only sticks out past the bushing by about .060"

Here's a few pics of the process...

IMG_0355 (768x1024).jpgIMG_0365 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0366 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0367 (768x1024).jpgIMG_0375 (768x1024).jpg

That's all for now....

Brian :)

Hi Brian
I just stumbled upon this thread. I am not sure how I missed it. That is one beautiful lathe. Nice job restoring it
Cheers
Martin

Brian,

So there's no thumbscrew to lock the dial to the 'barrel'? I'm always paranoid that I'm going to accidentally bump the dial in the middle of a critical cut if it's not locked, but maybe those springs and ball bearings provide enough friction...

This is better than any entertainment on TV, etc. Keep up the good work!

-Jake

Hello Martin,

Thank you :) I am sure that I will learn lots on this lathe. It will be a nice winter project.

Brian

Hello Jake :)

Thanks... :) Yup, there aren't any thumbscrews to tighten the micrometer dials. I don't know just how much friction the springs and ball bearings provide, as I haven't cleaned them up and put it back together, But I assume, as original equipment, that they would have worked very well. Lodge and Shipley spared no expense and paid such attention to detail. I am amazed at just the little things that I have found on this lathe so far.

Cheers... :)

Brian

Brian,

Your dial is in much nicer shape than mine was in. I see you found the steel balls. When I pulled mine apart, they went to never, never land. I had a few laying around for replacement. I never could trust the dial on my lathe, it always moved on me. I think it was the worn out that caused it to do that. I have a 1" travel indicator set up I use on the cross slide for fine tuning measurements.

Back