Lms Chuck Adapter Plate, 7x10 Hf Lathe

Cavediver

Registered
Registered
I ordered a 4" 4 jaw chuck for my 7x10 HF lathe. The included adapter plate has the correct 3 stud hole pattern, but the recess (register?) is only 55mm and does not fit on my 80mm spindle.

My understanding is that the recess does the alignment work, and the studs are there to clamp it down.

So... what gives? Do I have the wrong adapter plate, or is that just how it works with this size lathe?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it seems to defy my particular brand of logic.

Thanks!

Could you post pictures of both the chuck and spindle?

20160114_045352_resized.jpg
Here is the new chuck next to the spindle.

Last edited:
Looking at the chuck on the right it seems to be using the large outside diameter to locate. The adapter should fit on the smaller diameter that is raised. That is the way mine fits. Just mount the adapter to the chuck and put 3 setscrews into the 3 threaded holes and put it on.

The chuck on the right is the 3-jaw chuck that came with the (used) lathe. It does use the recess to center itself on the arbor, though there is a bit of slop.

The chuck nearest the spindle is the new chuck with the adapter plate.

The face of the spindle is flat; the ring you see is a grove in the face. Looking at the LMS replacement parts, it appears that's not supposed to be the case... I guess someone bought a new chuck and faced off the spindle to make it flat to fit said chuck.

Huh.

Well, I suppose that tells me what I need to know. I'll go ahead and mount it up tonight after I pick up the mounting studs I forgot to order. Given the amount of play in the stud holes in the spindle, I'm doubting I'll be able to properly center the chuck or keep it there if I do manage to get it centered.

Bummer.
On the bright side, at least I know the adapter is not the issue :grin:

New Question:
If I choose to operate on the existing spindle face, facing the outer ring by 2mm or so to bring back the raised center ring, will that make the mounting flange too weak to hold a chuck under the stress of operation? The flange will be 5 to 5.5mm thick instead of the original 7.75mm.

Last edited:
Looking at the chuck on the right it seems to be using the large outside diameter to locate. The adapter should fit on the smaller diameter that is raised. That is the way mine fits. Just mount the adapter to the chuck and put 3 setscrews into the 3 threaded holes and put it on.

This is exactly the same way that mine fits for all of the chucks that I have.

The raised center diameter on the spindle should locate the adapter properly. You should not have to turn anything down. Just mount it.

The raised center diameter on the spindle should locate the adapter properly. You should not have to turn anything down. Just mount it.
Sorry I wasn't clear there:
My spindle doesn't have a raised center. The previous owner turned it off when fitting the other chuck. My spindle face is flat across the entire 80mm.

ETA: It doesn't look that way in the picture, but it is flat. The picture is a bit deceiving, probably due to the lighting and camera angle.

Ouch. This is sad.
If you can round up a piece of metal of the right type and size, I am sure someone here can make you a replacement spindle. I would do it for you happily, but I don't have a tool post grinder to make the taper.
Or just get a replacement from LMS
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1341&category=
The raw material will not be much cheaper unless you get a cheap/free drop

Back