Little mods making things better. (And other Stuff!)

I need to find a chuck that is same size as original chuck. Old chuck is 1.5"x4" and the new chuck is 2.5" and 3" with the back plate. That's twice the size of the original factory chuck! The new chuck is 6 lbs and back plate is 2.88 lbs. So all in all I have 8.88 pounds hanging off the end of the spindle nose. I may be stuck with buying a used chuck with center jaws as I already have the outside jaws.
From the picture, the back plate looks quite thick. Have you thought about turning that down to make it thinner?

From the picture, the back plate looks quite thick. Have you thought about turning that down to make it thinner?
The mounting bolt holes are quite deep and l don't see that as a viable option.

I wish you a speedy recovery! Hopefully your wife didn't catch it. My wife and kids didn't.
I'm looking forward to hearing back with some run out numbers with the new spindle bearings.
Best runout I could get was .003". Guess I'll just have to live with it.

That seems good to me. With a 4 jaw independent chuck, I think you could dial it in to zero. I've been looking for this ad all day, and finally found it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Craf...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
I sent him an email asking about the chucks he has, but haven't heard back yet. Anyways it looks like he has a ton of stuff, so maybe you could make a deal with him for an OEM chuck.

Last edited:
Anyone had any experience with cleaning oil deposits from the link belts I'm using? I notice that my belt is starting to slip at times when cutting. If it were a "normal" fan belt I would have used mineral spirits on a rag but with a link belt it wants to grab that rag right out of my hand and into the pulleys! LoL
I found a way that worked pretty good for me. I coiled the belt with a tie wrap and soaked it in gasoline for a few minutes. I then used a small SS brush and scrubbed the heck out of it. Before putting it back on the lathe I cleaned the pulleys of any oil deposits.

Attachments

• 20211231_120352.jpg
    20211231_120352.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211231_204028.jpg
    20211231_204028.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 11
FDA canceled this on June 15, 2020 because clinical studies showed that hydroxychloroquine is unlikely to be effective for treatment of COVID-19 in these patients and some serious side effects, such as irregular heartbeat, were reported.
100's of millions of people have taken hydroxychoroquine for malaria, arthritis, and lupus. I was on it in the Marine Corps in 2003 as was everyone else in the group, with no side effects other than some peoples eyes/skin turned a pale yellow color. Don't be duplicitous, make sure you tell the side effects of the alternative.

@LX Kid I hope you're still feeling well.
I heard back from that fellow on Ebay. He said the chucks I was asking about aren't available at this time. And provided his private email. So I guess he's no help to you.
Edited my reply to someone I didn't think I was talking to.

Last edited:
100's of millions of people have taken hydroxychoroquine for malaria, arthritis, and lupus. I was on it in the Marine Corps in 2003 as was everyone else in the group, with no side effects other than some peoples eyes/skin turned a pale yellow color. Don't be duplicitous, make sure you tell the side effects of the alternative.
As I mentioned before, this is a natural homemade concoxion I got off YouBoob. It's made from grapefruit and lemon peelings and it's boiled liquid is the "medicine". Second day of usage I noticed that my symptoms disappeared. My temp went from 99.8 down to normal 97.6 to 98 degrees. I still haven't been notified by CVS Lab that I actually have Covid. My Binex home test indicated that I did have it. I have felt normal the last couple of days and even been bicycle riding and tinkering out in the shop and racking leaves. I'm really just hoping that the Lab results come back negative and hope it was just a bad cold. Can't really say wheather the liquid did anything good or bad but doesn't seem to have done any harm. One tbsp morning and evening but bitter as hell!

I'm just glad that I live in Florida where Governor De Santis has implemented Covid sanity . The Feds and the Democrat Party want to instill fear to gain control and power over a free people to decide what "they" want to inject into our bodies.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you're feeling better. I'm happy to avoid any discussion of politics here. Hopefully you'll find some outside jaws for that chuck and you'll be off to the races! I read about a guy who made his own set. You up for that?

Glad to hear you're feeling better. I'm happy to avoid any discussion of politics here. Hopefully you'll find some outside jaws for that chuck and you'll be off to the races! I read about a guy who made his own set. You up for that?
Are you kidding me? I can barely find the power switch. LoL Seems like I always find something else going wrong with the lathe. I tried cutting some 1" test stock and only takeling a .003" cut and the darn thing stalls and quits. I checked belt tightness and speed feeds and was fine. I even changed the tooling using both carbide and tool steel cutters. Seems like I could easily cut .003" without stalling. What ya think my problem is. Maybe something between my ears that's not working correctly?? Wonder if it has anything to do with the link belt cleaning that now lets it slip.

Back