Lighting solutions?

This is soooo much better. I also have a ring light ordered but may not need it. Now I need to get some light on the spindle DRO.

IMG_3208.JPG

Like this? Yours is a DEFINITE improvement over my design!!! PS -Thanks so much for the link to your source. I'd been getting them from DealExtreme ... but their website is getting harder and harder to navigate. Now I can resupply!

Well thanks, but without your inspiration I'd be using some other sort of "lesser" solution. I'm glad that you were here and spoke up so I now have a proper source to credit. Back then I think I scoured the net for every bit of info on these machines so you got lost in the thousands of page views. So thank YOU for the idea!

Once I got the pieces and made the light I realized what a great value these festoons were. I've made a bunch of single panel lights for various tools and have made a number to give away as gifts. Some pieces of scrap aluminum block and plate, some small mini toggle switches, some cheapie import Loc-Line clones and magnets stolen out of old computer hard drives and you've got a great solution.

Sander.jpg

Mini.jpg

Just ordered some of those "festoons" from ebay. Also ordered some of the SMD COB (chip on board) lights. We shall see how they are. Thanks for the inspiration guys.

Gotta love that Locline!

I purchased a 90mm light ring from --->Super Bright LEDs. <--- Make sure you get a diffuser with them if you go with that route. It keeps the contaminants off of the LEDs and, well, diffuses the light. I used a 12 volt wall wart to drive them, which I most likely had laying around from something. 3D printed a switch holder and I was good to go. I believe I used some---> E6000 <--- to glue the light ring up to the spindle. Very happy with how it turned out.

EDIT: Make sure you get a light ring with an LED driver or purchase one separately.
How'd you affix the halo to the spindle?

I used E6000 glue. It is a one part glue and has some elasticity to it, so not affected by vibrations.

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 9
  • Unknown-2.jpeg
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    8.5 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I removed all of my 4' strip lights and replaced them with a grid of LED flood lights recessed in the ceiling joists and spaced every 2-3'. They are more dense above work benches. I bought a bunch of the plastic round light socket bases that attach to a ceiling box. The boxes and lamp bases are cheap. The LED floodlights are often on sale at Menards for less than $10 for two. I also added under shelf LEDs where the ceiling lights were obstructed. There are no shadows with 50 LED ceiling lights and the under-shelf lights. If one burns out, there are plenty more to continue work until I can get a replacement. It also uses less power than the 10 2x 4' strip florescent lamps.

Back