Lighting solutions?

I have 1 lamp for the lathe, and 2 for the mill.

I use an Ikea light. Not the brightest, but cheap.

a997c514cf443ac35b45aaf5ea641cc3.jpg

271f395a525cf631d83f2f74f646d7a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I made my lathe and mill lights 5yrs ago there weren't as many choices as there are today. If I was starting this project today I still think I'd go the same way, though. For $10, some aluminum sheet and a little bit of soldering you can make lights for both machines. I used what are called LED "festoons", which are little 48 LED boards that run on 12v DC. I used three for the mill and two for the lathe and I drive them from an old PC power supply. The PS also drives the 5v TouchDRO boxes and the tablets for the DROs

Here's the source I used for the festoons and a picture of the mill light. Not my design, I shamelessly stole it from someone who posted a wooden version someplace on the Interwebs.

MILL LIGHT.JPG

Here's the simple wiring diagram for the light (the dotted line is the aluminum plate).

Wiring.jpg

Like this? Yours is a DEFINITE improvement over my design!!! PS -Thanks so much for the link to your source. I'd been getting them from DealExtreme ... but their website is getting harder and harder to navigate. Now I can resupply!

PS to @7milesup - I've always used 12 volt "wall warts" for Angel Eyes, LED strips, festoons, etc. I pick them up for cheap at Goodwill or similar stores.

Another PS regarding the Angel Eyes - see the third photo in post #3695 in
Note the copper foil around the edge of the light. Sure helps not to have a bright light shooting out sideways into your eyes!

kHPIM1118.jpg

Last edited:
When I built my shop years ago I used standard 4 foot fluorescent two bulb light fixtures. Over the summer I changed them all out to led bulbs. The difference is amazing. It’s almost like the sun is in my shop. I bought the bulbs on Amazon. They came in 25 to a box. We’re very easy to change out.
I also made a ring light about five years ago for the mill. I need to replace that one because some of the individual bulbs are going out. It has worked great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some really awesome ideas here. I really like Hman's light setup on his mill. :)

For a mill, sewing machine lights like Jim’s in post #5. Has the flexibility to point it where you need it and/or move it out of your way for setting up the work piece, tooling, etc. I have one shining on each side of my mill’s spindle to eliminate shadows.

Tom

I wonder where you can get this style of worklight

Front-Right-Light.jpg

I am with you. I have read a lot of the reviews for the similar lights I found on Amazon and not sure they are worth the effort. Guess I will have to try one to find out. Would prefer to find someone with first hand experience. But I am also assuming that the one that comes on the PM is of high quality.

I made one of the LED ring lights that attaches to the spindle housing on my mill and to be honest, I'm pretty disappointed with it. The light is plenty bright and it works fine as long as the quill is nearly fully retracted, but as the quill is lowered, it blocks the light. I'll probably go back to using a portable mag base style light.
On my lathe I have a 4 ft. two lamp LED light mounted overhead on my backsplash. It works very well. Couple of photos attached.
Ted
View attachment 346058View attachment 346059
I like your fine feed hand wheel on the mill! ??

Back