Lifting a lathe with an engine hoist.....?

I counted 6 bricks wide by the narrow point , if the bricks are 4 " wide then you may be stuck

I assumed that he was going to hoist it above the level of the wall to get past the narrow spot. Two cranes and pass it from one to the other? Tricky. I'd want to strip the machine down as far as possible.

Thanks! Just re read the other thread on this move and found the mention of the custom dolly.

Chris

I won't be using a dolly, changed my mind and am going with the simpler method of using 3/4" pipe from my pipe clamps and roll it along the planks with the lathe mounted on skids. I'm doing this to keep the cg as low as possible. For the most part it is a level run, the only sketchy part is on the bricks. I intend to screw two planks together with cross braces on the bottom to act as one rolling surface through the fireplace/brick path area. Although not a pro rigger I have quite a bite of experience moving heavy machinery so I am confident it will work fine(hope these aren't "famous last words"). With the carriage removed the lathe(bed with headstock all that remain) should just squeak through the 24" space.

Brian

Here are the planks and skids in the "raw", I'll cut and attach the skids on site, then use the cutoffs to block the lathe in place in my truck ; HF hoist ready ready for the trip.

IMG_6691_zpscec88ad1.jpg

IMG_6692_zps3f4063a7.jpg

I won't be using a dolly, changed my mind and am going with the simpler method of using 3/4" pipe from my pipe clamps and roll it along the planks with the lathe mounted on skids. I'm doing this to keep the cg as low as possible. For the most part it is a level run, the only sketchy part is on the bricks. I intend to screw two planks together with cross braces on the bottom to act as one rolling surface through the fireplace/brick path area. Although not a pro rigger I have quite a bite of experience moving heavy machinery so I am confident it will work fine(hope these aren't "famous last words"). With the carriage removed the lathe(bed with headstock all that remain) should just squeak through the 24" space.

Brian

Here are the planks and skids in the "raw", I'll cut and attach the skids on site, then use the cutoffs to block the lathe in place in my truck ; HF hoist ready ready for the trip.

IMG_6691_zpscec88ad1.jpg

IMG_6692_zps3f4063a7.jpg

I can not be there to help you move this machine BUT I would like to see first-hand how quick this take place , so take plenty of pictures

One of the primary dangers of moving any lathe is that they are narrow, top heavy and are often moved using dollys and engine lifts on wheels. This off balanced condition can and does lead to sudden disastrous incidents. Any lift or A frame gantry on wheels can suddenly flip over if there is the slightest pull out of plumb.

I have moved Machines including my 2000# lathe by my self using a simple hand winch and some pipe rollers. Try to use a low trailer. If you do have to put it in a truck or tall trailer for a long trip, try to find a low trailer and get someone locally to transfer your machine to the low trailer. You can also bolt the machine to a heavy pallet, you can get them for free if you look around.

Lathes are not meant to be on wheels. Build a skid out of angle iron it is much safer.

Engine hoist are rated for their shortest boom length. Capacity diminishes rapidly as you extend the boom.

I used an engine hoist with a low trailer and lots of straps to hold it in the trailer for ride home. One thing I did, based upon what a local rigger said, was to bolt a 2x8, a twice as wide as the lathe was high, across the bottom of the headstock. This made it very stable in the box. Bolting to a pallet will have the same effect.
Pierre

Back