Lifes little deversions ...

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Would love to be home working on the shop, but the universe seems to have other plans for me for a while. Back in Wisconsin to deal with my dads and brothers estates. Got to my brothers house just in time to save my nephew from a heroine overdose. What a curse that stuff has become in our country. The house is totally trashed and is going to require several weeks of work to clean it and the property up for sale, then on to my dads 4k sf shop, which has 60 yrs worth of accumulated stuff. My nephews girl friend is getting out of the county mental facility today and wants to stay at the house so she can go back to her job and attempt to get their two young children back from social services. She had a breakdown after my nephew was stopped with the kids in the the car after taking her to work, and the kids ( 4yr old girl, and 6 month old baby) were taken away. My niece who temporarily has the kids, says she deserves a chance. I could go on, as there are several more elements involved here, but suffice to say I'm feeling way out of my depth. As I'm the only one left to deal with this, guess I'm just going to have to suck it up, and dig in. Sorry if this brings anybody down, but just needed to vent. Thanks, Mike

Last edited:
Hang in there Mike!
Hope it all gets better for you.

I too am sorry for the situation that you find yourself in. Only comment that I have is before you let the girlfriend back to live in the house get a good lawyer to write up a temporary lease or something to that effect. I have heard of horror stories where the "mother with minor children" could not be evicted and all utilities must be maintained (at whose expense?--one guess). It could take years and a big chunk of money to be able to get her out and sell the house.

I don't have a clue what the laws are where the house is located, I suggest that you find out prior to giving permission for anything.

good luck,

Mike

Well good luck and best wishes. Sounds like things can only get better from here hopefully. And if not then realise you can't help those that won't try and help themselves.

I agree with Mike, I would contact a lawyer before letting her stay at the house. If your nephew
is going to get a portion of the proceeds once the house sells, it might be better to get her into an
apartment and pay for the rent out of your nephews portion of the proceeds. Again, I'm not a
lawyer, but as Mike said, I could see her moving in making it impossible or very difficult to sell the house.

Mike, take a deep breath and focus on what steps you'll need to take next,what you're going through is just tough for anyone but with your help and others who are willing to share this heavy burden, this situation will have a better chance to be resolved . one thing is for sure,your nephew needs to go to a rehab and stick with the program for at least 3 years if not longer otherwise he'll go back to that horrible drug in no time and will drag you and others down with him , if you can succeed in putting him in an addiction clinic, you have made a huge step in the right direction .having children in the mix makes the situation even tougher but they need to be sheltered from it all.

Please don't lose hope, there's always a way , you'll need to be resourceful, let others share the weight and the responsibilities.
If you need a few listening ears, we are here.

Sometimes it's only one second at a time. Hang in there Mike things always seem to work out.

"Billy G"

Hi Mike,

Wow that's a tough situation. I commend you for your efforts. I know it cannot be easy.

It sounds like your niece is stepping up too; it's great she can supply some sort of continuity for the kids.
So you are not alone!
Also, seeing all the replies above you have supporters here.

Remember that as a custodian of all this you have to take care of yourself too.
Otherwise you can't help anyone else and just become another victim.

Feel free to PM me anytime if you ever want to "talk". I don't know if I have any wisdom to offer, but I can guarantee a sympathetic ear and I know sometimes (for me at least) it takes some discussion to help put things in perspective and figure out next steps.

With my respect!
-brino

Last edited:
Back