Leveling my lathe

Your not trying to level the lathe , think lathes on navy ships . Your trying to make sure theres no twist . Hate to say it but the best/fastest way to get the bed setup is with more than 1 level . What kind of level are ya using ?

Tried that link and it led me nowhere. Said no permission to download
In order to download I believe you need to upgrade your membership. Personally, I think it's worthwhile. A Silver membership would get you access to the downloads. Just a heads up.

Hmmm.....works for me. Did you click on the yellow download button ?

Ted

Not sure if the headstock can be aligned to the ways on my machine.
Check the manual for that machine. You will likely need to get a substantial bar of steel to use in headstock alignment. My manual called for a 2" bar. Very slight changes in the headstock mounting will affect the taper. The process is simple but tedious. Tailstock alignment is much easier. The better your level the better the results of taking twist out. Castings can move all by themselves!

Your not trying to level the lathe , think lathes on navy ships . Your trying to make sure theres no twist . Hate to say it but the best/fastest way to get the bed setup is with more than 1 level . What kind of level are ya using ?
It’s a 15” Startett master level and I calibrated it also

In order to download I believe you need to upgrade your membership. Personally, I think it's worthwhile. A Silver membership would get you access to the downloads. Just a heads up.
Ah. I bet that’s what’s got me locked out. I will upgrade in just a little bit and check it out, Thanks

I used two starrett 98's and a import master precision level. I trust the starrett levels more based on calibrating them. Get the twist out of the bed first, then adjust your headstock if needed.

I used two starrett 98's and an import master precision level. I trust the starrett levels more based on calibrating them. Get the twist out of the bed first, then adjust your headstock if needed.
that’s what I keep hearing is adjust the headstock . Are all headstocks adjustable? Guess I would need to look at mine to see if it is.

I am guessing it depends on the manufacturer. If the headstock sits on flat ways then it should be adjustable.

Back