Lets try this rust remover again .

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a few items I want to bring back to life . NO precision stuff , but doo dads and whatever . I used this on a chuck and soaked it for 8 months or so . Came out worse than when it went in . My fault for forgetting all about it . I'm comparing this to simple , cheap white vinegar this time . Will post results .

Attachments

• IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    317.1 KB · Views: 11
Yeah, 8 months was probably excessive. We’ve had good results on the training and elevation gearboxes on old Naval guns using citric acid in water. The housings are bronze but everything inside them is steel. The ship was decommissioned in 1948 and last year was probably the first time they have been opened up since then.

It only takes about 2 tablespoons of citric acid (it’s a powder) per gallon of water. It’s best to start with water that’s 160-200 degrees F if you’re putting large masses of cold metal in the solution. It doesn’t take long. Overnight is enough. It will probably come out not looking any better than when it went in but the rust and corrosion will be very easy to brush off after the soak. Citric acid is available in the canning sec of grocery stores and through the online resellers. I buy a pound at a time because it’s cheap in quantity. If kept dry it lasts a long time. It’s also not toxic, at least until it’s used, and won’t hurt skin when diluted.

A citric acid solution is also great for removing tarnish from brass. I have used it on brass items including surplus rifle cartridges. At 140-160 degrees F it makes them bright in seconds. After drying and polishing they look new.

A day or 2 is really plenty Dave 4 days is probably max. Most times I get away with a few hours. But that's with Evapo Rust. I think that stuff is about the same.

Sorry, I know a day or two is enough; it was supposed to be a humorous comment. Sometimes not effective in writing.

That product has one of the worst, compliance-skirting, dirty corporate capitalist Safety Data Sheets I've ever seen, and I've reviewed thousands. It's water plus 5% we're not going to tell ya without a subpoena.

The Wd-40 juice, which I also assumed was the same as Evaporust, didn’t seem to work as well for me. Rusty old chuck kind of just sat there. Still took several days in Evaporust, but it cleaned up decent. Maybe the WD-40 being less aggressive would be better for precision tools?

Used per the directions Evaporust doesn’t attack good metal. I used it on a coffee can full of auger bits and the sharp edges remained sharp. Lots of the delicate aiming equipment on the guns of the USS Texas is being cleaned in Evaporust. Those mechanisms are much like the gear works of a finely machined grandfather clock.

I've never tried citric acid...but I have a bag of the stuff for descaling the coffee pot! I'm going to try it...

My go-to is phosphoric acid. Kleen Strip Etch and Prep from Home Depot. It works great.

I have a jug of Kleen Strip Etch and Prep, too. The citric acid solution is much more pleasant to use. Let us know how you like it. The chuck on the lathe I bought recently could use a dunk, too. I’ll take pictures.

Edit: After checking the runout on this lathe there's no need to spend any time on it.

Last edited:
Back