Lets Talk Gantry Cranes

Jim -
Just be sure not to sell the Kubota ... or you'll never get the crane disassembled, and you'll have to sell it with the house ;~)
Great job of adapting the assembly sequence!

Guys,

At first, the thread confused me until I realized I was visualizing a jib crane!

Harvey

Last edited:
I'm on the edge of purchasing a gantry crane but can't seem to pull the trigger. Ahaha basically I'm looking for you people to talk me into it. I'm looking at the Harbor Freight 1 ton, $583 with a 20% off coupon so cost wise its not prohibitive.

I have an immediate use for a gantry crane, lifting a knee mill off its pallet and onto a stand. I have some other upcoming lifts and there are some tractor implements where the gantry crane would come in handy. But if I'm honest the crane would frequently gather dust which is probably why I'm on the fence.

First question - Who has/had a gantry crane and is it worth owning one? Pro's, con's?

I have an engine hoist...

Engine Hoist Pro's - It folds up into a 2x2 foot cube of shop space so its out of my way most of the time and on wheels should I need to move it around.

Engine Hoist Con's - The problem is the engine hoist is frequently FAIL at lifting things other than engines. You can't life a machine off a pallet due to the narrow legs. Yes you could re-inforce the pallet in the center, hack off the outsides with a sawsall, etc. etc. but that's not using the right tool for the job. I get highly annoyed when I know a job would be easy if only I had the right tool. It also has only one lift point which can get precarious when lifting a lathe or something that really needs two lifting points.

Gantry Crane Pro's - Bring on any width pallet that becomes a non-issue. I will equip with dual hoists so I'll be a lot more comfortable lifting just about anything with two lifting points. 2,000 lb capacity which would cover anything I would lift. R&R of tractor implements like my behemoth Landpride rototiller would be much easier. No limitations on the size of machine or stand the thing has about an 8 foot width. If I need to lift something onto a trailer or truck I could now do this.

Gantry Crane Con's - Its for lifting not for moving, while its on wheels you are not supposed to move it under load. But I tend to put everything on wheeled stands so not really an issue. Its BIG but I think I have that figured out.

For those of you like me who's shop is your average 3 car garage I think I have overcome the main issue with gantry cranes which is ceiling height. This HF gantry crane is about 100 inches high, my ceiling height varies from about 103 inches to 106 inches but there's all manner of shop lights and garage door brackets and stuff hanging down in the way. I thought it wasn't going to work until I got the idea of assembling the crane above the garage door tracks and opener in the 3rd bay.

I'll only be able to move the crane back and forth about 6 feet but it will clear everything and straddle the bay. One side of the crane will be up against a wall out of the way, the other side will be in the dead space between the 2nd and 3rd bay so mostly the crane will be out of my way. The Kubota tractor lives in this bay so its easy to park the tractor outside when I need to use the crane. How I'm going to fish that I beam up above the garage door tracts and opener during assembly...I'm still working on that.
I'm on the edge of purchasing a gantry crane but can't seem to pull the trigger. Ahaha basically I'm looking for you people to talk me into it. I'm looking at the Harbor Freight 1 ton, $583 with a 20% off coupon so cost wise its not prohibitive.

I have an immediate use for a gantry crane, lifting a knee mill off its pallet and onto a stand. I have some other upcoming lifts and there are some tractor implements where the gantry crane would come in handy. But if I'm honest the crane would frequently gather dust which is probably why I'm on the fence.

First question - Who has/had a gantry crane and is it worth owning one? Pro's, con's?

Engine Hoist Pro's - It folds up into a 2x2 foot cube of shop space so its out of my way most of the time and on wheels should I need to move it around.

Engine Hoist Con's - The problem is the engine hoist is frequently FAIL at lifting things other than engines. You can't life a machine off a pallet due to the narrow legs. Yes you could re-inforce the pallet in the center, hack off the outsides with a sawsall, etc. etc. but that's not using the right tool for the job. I get highly annoyed when I know a job would be easy if only I had the right tool. It also has only one lift point which can get precarious when lifting a lathe or something that really needs two lifting points.

Gantry Crane Pro's - Bring on any width pallet that becomes a non-issue. I will equip with dual hoists so I'll be a lot more comfortable lifting just about anything with two lifting points. 2,000 lb capacity which would cover anything I would lift. R&R of tractor implements like my behemoth Landpride rototiller would be much easier. No limitations on the size of machine or stand the thing has about an 8 foot width. If I need to lift something onto a trailer or truck I could now do this.

Gantry Crane Con's - Its for lifting not for moving, while its on wheels you are not supposed to move it under load. But I tend to put everything on wheeled stands so not really an issue. Its BIG but I think I have that figured out.

For those of you like me who's shop is your average 3 car garage I think I have overcome the main issue with gantry cranes which is ceiling height. This HF gantry crane is about 100 inches high, my ceiling height varies from about 103 inches to 106 inches but there's all manner of shop lights and garage door brackets and stuff hanging down in the way. I thought it wasn't going to work until I got the idea of assembling the crane above the garage door tracks and opener in the 3rd bay.

I'll only be able to move the crane back and forth about 6 feet but it will clear everything and straddle the bay. One side of the crane will be up against a wall out of the way, the other side will be in the dead space between the 2nd and 3rd bay so mostly the crane will be out of my way. The Kubota tractor lives in this bay so its easy to park the tractor outside when I need to use the crane. How I'm going to fish that I beam up above the garage door tracts and opener during assembly...I'm still working on that.

Coolidge, I bought the HF gantry and have been pretty happy with it, although mine is in a high ceilinged area, so no problem w/ overhead clearance or door tracks. My lathes and other equipment are out far enough from the N. wall that I can run the wheels on that side between the wall and the machinery, even tho I have lots of hanging storage on the wall. (come-alongs, grinders, drill motors etc.)
The S. side requires an open runway down the floor for the depth of the building. The only fly in the buttermilk that I noticed was that, due to having 4 castor type wheels, it required lots of jigging back and forth to roll it the whole depth of the shop when I'm alone. I replaced the 2 castors on the W. end of the frame with solid wheels, and that helped out a lot. I'm also thinking of shooting down to the floor, a channel iron guide track on the N. side where it wouldn't be a tripping hazard. Mine is wide enough that with my shop layout, I could drive a vehicle in under it, just outboard of the lathes, for either unloading or vehicle maintenance.

Glad you bought yours, you won't be sorry.

BTW, If you'd like to look at it, I live in the North Image neighborhood of Vancouver, not too far from you.
larrybates42@comcast.net 360-258-1648

Last edited:
I got this aluminum Spanco 2 ton crane with trolley for $400 from Craig's List. It comes apart into three pieces by pulling two pins. It also telescopes to several heights.

IMG_8264 (Medium).JPG BG5.jpg

Small World ,I went to local H.F. today and bought one .The price was the same with special discount .Will pick it up tomorrow . Nice to read all the replys

I built my own rolling bridge crane for the shop. One of the best things I ever did. I use it much more than I ever thought I would. For safety, I welded and bolted the connections to form the "I" that is the bridge crane.
IMG_6617.JPG

I also purchased a HF gantry for outside use. For that one, I replaced HF I-beam with one I had that was much more substantial.
Gantry_4269.jpg

That bridge frame looks awesome! I like the idea of using the HF trollys.

Bought a portable hydraulic, 2 ton rolling crane (collapsing "A" frame spreads is on the floor) form HF for under $200.00, which I used to move my equipment from receiving crates in my car port to the resting work place. very good. It folds up for a minimum of storage space. Also bought a balance bar for $39.95 to balance the lathe due to the heavy side where the head stock is worked very well, also worked well, I since then have used it for may other things like picking up my garden tractor, etc.

I use my cherry picker engine hoist & have had good luck with it. My shop has a 36" wide entry door off the garage. Gantry crane wouldn't do me any good. My hoist is an earlier Harbor Freight 2 ton that doesn't fold-up which is fine for me. I have a 42" Bridgeport that I took it thru that 36" door by only removing the bed & flipping the head. After lifting I pulled the mill over the legs & set it down with 2x4 supports. With it stable I used a 2x4 to jockey it thru the door. I also brought my 16" Atlas lathe in the same door. I first lifted the tail stock end & set it on a 1000 lb piano mover from Harbor Freight with wood on top & strapped down. I moved to other end with carriage & tail stock move toward head stock, then use the same 3" nylon strap to lift head stock end to sit on hoist legs as before. In both instance I left the hoist hooked up to prevent an accident. When you have to make do, you may surprise yourself. Your needs may differ from mine, but an engine hoist will do the job. How often do you move heavy stuff? Moving something with gantry crane & swivel casters & hanging weight can be a chore. Hope this helps you make up your mind.
Michael

Back