Lets Talk Gantry Cranes

Coolige, how high are your ceilings? I just measured mine and its about 10' The crane looks like it will drop to about 8' so you should have no problem as long as you avoid the door and tracks.

My ceiling eight varies from 102 to 106 inches back to front due to the slope of the garage floor so not quite 9 feet. The crane fits but I have all manner of garage door tracks and openers hanging down in the way plus a big beam that holds up the 2nd floor of the house.

No matter I pulled the trigger this morning on the HF crane, plus 2 of the 2 ton trolleys and a 2nd 2 ton chain hoist, out the door for $834 using a 20% off coupon. It looks like I could hack off about 8 inches to lower the minimum height of this crane to clear some of my obstructions. As it telescopes to like 12 feet high I can always raise it when needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
need to see pic's when you get it set up.. I think a bridge crane would of been better. Abet a couple of more $ :laughing:

After careful measurements it looks like the gantry crane will fit under the beam in my garage, barely with like 1/4 inch to spare. If I pull the pins it settles another inch and will clear easily. Phew now I won't have to chop it with my bandsaw and redrill those big holes and I'll have pretty good maneuverability.

Phew now I won't have to chop it with my bandsaw and redrill those big holes and I'll have pretty good maneuverability.

Excellent. That will be a great addition to any shop.
I am jealous.
-brino

A gantry is a good thing to have. I am 35 and appreciate having to do less and less heavy lifting since injuries are starting to act up. This is only going to get worse as this earthen vessel deteriorates. I went to great pains to have a crane in my shop. Still not finished but I can see it being a huge energy and stress reducer when completed.

Paul.

35! I'm 50 and have enough stainless and titanium in me that there will be a fight over weather to take me to the scrap yard or funeral home when I go up to the great shop in the sky! Your still a puppy! :big grin:

I added gantry crane assembler to my resume today with the help of a friend of mine. I got lucky on a couple of things, first that my Kubota front end loader could lift it high enough and second that it slides under that beam in my house with the cardboard cover just rubbing I literally have about 1/4 inch clearance heck yeah!

I did not have the ceiling height to assemble it on the floor then tip it upright so here are some assembly tips.

1. We installed the casters on the legs while on the workbench.
2. We laid the vertical posts and I-beam on the floor and bolted them together.
3. We lifted the I-beam onto the front end loader bucket and strapped it in place.
4. We lifted the I-beam and post assembly vertical with the Kubtoa then up off the floor about 9 inches.
5. We slid the legs with casters under and bolted them on.
6. I replaced the I-beam to posts and posts to legs bolts with 1/2 inch grade 8 vs the grade 5 metric supplied bolts. The 1/2 inch bolts were larger than the supplied metric bolts and just barely fit the holes, I'm talking .006 clearance. I was concerned that if they had not accurately drilled all these holes the 1/2 inch bolts would not fit, I mean there was no slop left in the bolt holes. Surprisingly they drilled the holes spot on and this was not an issue except for one hole which we just drilled out to 1/2 inch.
7. I used the supplied metric bolts for the casters as they were actually larger than 3/8 inch and 7/16 inch bolts were too large for the holes.
8. I ended up using the supplied metric bolts for the angled tubular supports. The reason is even the supplied bolts were tight fitting on the back supports and the front supports flat did not fit at all. The bolt hole was about 1/8 inch off center and we had to drill them out to 5/8 inch.

Honorable mention - the HF air wrench made tightening all these bolts a breeze!

Next I'll get the trolley's and chain hoists hung.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love mine. Consider a chain fall to put on. The tractor supply 2ton was the longest reach I could find. Even bested Amazons selection for price point. We lift a bunch with it.

Jim, I told the wife I wanted a fork lift like you. She told me to come live with you then. Hahah. Guess she does not yet see the value.
Coolidge, Congrats sir.

Back