Lets call this a learning experience....

And the manual is the idiot's guide to teardown and repair.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
OK, just bought it.

So I'll probably skip the rebuild of the apron for now, just give it a really good cleaning. I'll dive into it later when I have more time. The clutch is a little wonky and tearing it apart might allow me to get it working better.

While I'm doing maintenance, I also need to replace the flat drive belt. I've done it a couple of times with a glued leather belt but my supply of leather belt material as disappeared. I'd really like to stick to a glued flat belt. This is what I found - good choice or should I stick to leather? if so where do I get it?

-Dave

OK, just bought it.

So I'll probably skip the rebuild of the apron for now, just give it a really good cleaning. I'll dive into it later when I have more time. The clutch is a little wonky and tearing it apart might allow me to get it working better.

While I'm doing maintenance, I also need to replace the flat drive belt. I've done it a couple of times with a glued leather belt but my supply of leather belt material as disappeared. I'd really like to stick to a glued flat belt. This is what I found - good choice or should I stick to leather? if so where do I get it?

-Dave
I'd contact Al Bino if you want leather flat belting.
Alternatively many folks have swapped in a serpentine automotive belt with excellent results. Rewuires pulling the spindle but this is a pretty simple procedure. And it give you to put in new spindle felts from your kit ;)

Yeah, don't beat yourself up too much. I have done WAY worse to my SB and it survived. You caught it early and have a plan to remedy the situation. Once you get the rebuild book you will be impressed and have a much better understanding of how to do things and what needs to be done.

Taking the apron off and doing a cleaning is just regular maintenance (as is servicing the spindle felts, apparently). Chips always find their way into the apron and you have to pop it off from time to time to get the crud out. A good flushing and re-oiling will probably be good enough for your situation. BUT having the rebuild kit and instructions on hand is a great way to start that project, you can go as deep into as you think necessary at the time.

I splurged and bought the whole kit including the lubricants. I wanted to compare them to the things I have been using. My lathe is running just fine, but I don't know the history and now with the kit in hand it will be pretty easy to go through it all. Even if not needed, I will have piece of mind in knowing what it looks like inside, and that the full maintenance was done.

The odds are pretty good that if your ways and wipers were well oiled, most of the grit got suspended in the oil and picked up by the wipers. One would think that it would take a lot of trans-versing back and forth to force a significant amount of grit into the ways.

Start off with a good cleaning wipe-down with WD-40 and disposable cloth or paper shop towels. Repeat until the towels come off clean. Then you can change to a different solvent like acetone if you prefer, just remember to get it all oiled immediately after it gets dry.

Of course if after all that you are still worried, check Ebay for a used electron microscope so you can confirm the cleanliness of the ways. ;)

Back