Lead screw or thread dial not right?

I believe that is wrong. For an even number of threads, you can engage on ANY DIVISION. Not anywhere. Have to look at the dial.
Correct, that is what I meant to say. Mind saying one thing, fingers saying different... ;)

Jason, all you did was reverse it without taking it out of gear and you got that?

Jason, all you did was reverse it without taking it out of gear and you got that?
Yes sir. Turned chuck the opposite way, leaving....wait a min... I did take it out of gear, but left the 1/2 nut engaged...
I'll do this again.

This is beyond me.. you have something seriously wrong, that I am at a loss to figure out. They should be the same.
Your gibs are tightened correct? you should have virtually no play on a new machine on both crossfeed, compound and as well the carriage should ride without a wobble if you press one side or the other (ie twist on the ways.)

If your cutting toward the chuck and reversing cutting away from chuck, looks like normal gear train backlash to me. It's why you retract the cutting tool to reverse or you'll wreck your thread.

This is beyond me.. you have something seriously wrong, that I am at a loss to figure out. They should be the same.
Your gibs are tightened correct? you should have virtually no play on a new machine on both crossfeed, compound and as well the carriage should ride without a wobble if you press one side or the other (ie twist on the ways.)
I have a only couple to a few thou backlash in everything. Saddle is solid.

If your cutting toward the chuck and reversing cutting away from chuck, looks like normal gear train backlash to me. It's why you retract the cutting tool to reverse or you'll wreck your thread.
doesn't to me. I just did the test.
they lined up
PXL_20230805_190357257.jpg

Back