Lathes And Tools - What Are The Essentials?

Something to mention about Craigslist and I know most people probably already do this but to state the obvious:

Don't just look at what comes by day by day. Use the search bar and search for what you want. Type in "Lathe" and get all the past ads that are still active. Have gotten things like that and sometimes the comment is "No one ever called about it."

Search local Craigslist and cities around you as well because a short drive can be worth what there is to buy especially with something heavy needing a trailer. What is 30 minutes on the road once you are out?

1+ on searching old ads. I picked up a 16" Shaper off of a 4-year old ad. It was 338 miles away, long trip but worth it

Mike

Okay, so I've been looking around a lot at holders, and so on. I'm finding quite a variety of things. Some things seem like good deals when I look at new prices, but at times, I see things and wonder if I'd ever use them. One of the things that's a little confusing to me(only because I don't know) is that I run into different rake angles and so on, and while I'm sure that over time, I'll come to understand this all, as a newbie, I'm struggling a little. Part of it is learning the right tool for the right operation. Some of that will come with experience, but having the pointers on basic stuff is a big help to me at this point. So assuming I have a tool post that works(and I now do, after extensive work on the post that was on the lathe I purchased,) let me ask about sizes of tool posts. I gather that the dovetail varies and that there are distinct sizes there, lettered as far as I can tell, and so the post I have seems to be size C or CA? Again, the terminology is killing me as I try to absorb all of this. As I understand it, the tool posts and so on are sized based upon the swing of the lathe, at least in part, because it's about the height of the tool post and holders etc, relative to the centerline of the spindle. Again, you guys whack me when I use wrong/erroneous/not-quite-right terminology. I'm sorting my way through all of this, but I don't want to read like a dufus forever.

As for craigslist, yes, I look at that site frequently. I also look at nearby cities when I'm looking for particular things. What I've noticed is that sometimes, it's useful to search for a thing multiple ways, because sometimes the seller doesn't know exactly what they're selling. They may have cleaned out a storage shed, or liquidating a relative's estate, or whatever, and have no idea about the items they're selling. Some of their terminology is likely to be even more mismatched than mine, and that's saying some.

Thanks!

Mark

Back