Lathes And Tools - What Are The Essentials?

Your grand-dad was a wise man:)

I have been using my cheap Chinese 8 inch bench grinder for 25 years, still with the original wheels. I grind carbide and everything else on it. With carbide you just have to push a little harder, but it cuts pretty fast when it gets red hot. The grinder vibrates pretty good, but I just put my foot on the pedestal base to hold it in place.

I normally only buy the highest quality brazed carbide AR-8 bits from Harbor Freight. :) About $1.80 each in packs of 10. They actually hold up well, and if you destroy one it's not catastrophic. And I keep an assortment of HSS bits around for those times carbide just won't do or I need that special profile.
Thanks Jim, it's good to know one can go at things economically. I think my grinder is okay. The rests are crap though and one of the wheels probably needs replaced. Harbor freight is harbor freight, but I buy some stuff there. I'll probably buy a 10-pack and see how that goes. I've gotten a few things from them over the years that I expected would be crap, and were, but I've also gotten a few things from them that were okay and still use constantly.

Thanks!

A horizontal band saw is an essential tool. Need it for cutting down stock. Wouldn't want to put an inch and a half round bar in a vise and use a hacksaw repeatedly. The Harbor Freight one works fine.

The above comments are all excellent. Your question is good, but difficult to answer. It sounds like you have been into making, fixing, building for quite a few years. I am betting that you already have lots of tools that will be useful in machining. You probably already have a selection of drill bits, maybe some taps & dies, no doubt wrenches and other basic tools. Also of importance is what you want to do with the machine? For example, if you want to be making custom bolting, you need to get set up for threading. On the other hand, I know of home machinists who have never threaded with their lathes. What tooling you acquire, depends on what you want to do with the lathe. Okay, another consideration is the opportunities you have available to you. If you happen across some good used items that will work for you, even if it is not the next item on the list - buy it because it will save you money in the long run.

HSS is fine. Brazed carbide is fine, but carbide is very brittle and you need a good way to grind it. When you do start to use brazed carbide tooling, get a silicon carbide (green) wheel - it grinds pretty slow, so don't get too fine a wheel.
Review previous posts - also, drill chuck, selection of center drills, live center, one good sized drill bit (say 1" - for starting a hole that you will bore). You need a way to cut material to length. You don't need to get a parting tool right away. If you have some sort of a saw, you can take the piece out of the lathe - cut it to length and face the end (I did not have a parting tool for the first couple years).

Perhaps it has just been my projects, but two area I found myself getting into was: boring tools and measuring tools. It seemed I soon had quite a selection of boring tools and methods to hold the boring bars. The measuring tools are necessary in the endless "pursuit of precision". You need basic ID & OD measuring tools in the sizes for the jobs you will be doing.

Let us know how you make out.

Regards, David
David,

Thank you. You're right: I've been fixing, making, and building things all my life. Started with erector sets, Lincoln logs, and Legos as a kid. Watched my grandfathers and father intently as a kid, always helped Dad on every project. Was a mechanic in the Army who learned sometimes, you may not have the exact tool, equipment, or material you might want or need, but still had to get the mission accomplished. Work with computers, networks, etc in my paying job these days, but on the farm, still build or fix most of whatever we need, most of the time. I hate paying people to do things I know how to do, which is a pool of knowledge I've tried to expand my whole life. Tend to learn new things as needed, necessity being the mother of invention, and persistence being its father. My hobbies help, though my wife could strangle me at times. I've always been in the business of figuring out how to make things work, one way or the other. So yes, I have all kinds of tools, seldom a "full set" of anything, because I've tended to buy what I've needed when I needed it. Have the 12yo Miller Bobcat 250, rely on that a ton on the farm. Can weld up most things I need, heck, built the barn with that, from a pile of pipe and purlin. Will use the heck out of it for enclosing the workshop too. Have a big synchro wave welder I got for a good price several years back, haven't used it as much, though that will change soon.

I have a variety of drill bits, mostly all under 1/2, with a few exceptions, a ton of small taps under 3/8 or 10mm I use for a lot of stuff, primarily r/c plane stuff, though I have a few larger for other things here and there on the farm.

One of the projects/inventions I'm working on now requires a milling machine, which I don't have. Of course, that hasn't stopped me entirely because I've used an old radial drill press as a sort of primitive mill with one of those small X-y tables you can buy. Hard to be precise with that, but I putter along.

So yes, I've made do... Part of acquiring the lathe is about the fact that for some things, cobbled-together solutions really won't stand up. If I had a dollar for every time I've muttered "I wish I had a lathe" over the last 25 years as I worked on this or that, I'd have bought a big new one a decade ago with all the bells and whistles. Of course, like many things I've acquired over time, the lathe falls into that category of: "but I'll have to fix it first..." That never stopped me.

The best thing about having the father and grandfathers I was so fortunate to have was the idea they instilled in me, probably from the very start: Use your mind and figure it out. Don't have a tool? MAKE a tool. Don't have the equipment? What do you have and how can it be used in a pinch? I'm pretty certain my Dad's father saw the world as forces acting in a geometric space. There wasn't much he couldn't figure out.

So yes, I've got some tools, probably a few that would seem out of place until you understand how I've used them.

But that's half the fun... One of the things my Frau doesn't understand is when I climb in bed, I'll turn the TV to something instructive, or educational in a broader sense. I don't know how many of you guys ever watch Suburban Tool or OxToolCo on YouTube, but I get a kick out of those kinds of things. She shakes her head and rolls her eyes but I like seeing how things are done. Watched a short video of 4gsr grinding ways on a L&S lathe that was really spiffy. I love watching people solve real world problems. It's one of the reasons I lurked here a long time, periodically, as it's interesting to me how others approach problems. You guys here rock.

Thanks!

Mark

A horizontal band saw is an essential tool. Need it for cutting down stock. Wouldn't want to put an inch and a half round bar in a vise and use a hacksaw repeatedly. The Harbor Freight one works fine.
Cadillac STS,

Funny you should mention bandsaws. I was actually looking at a couple yesterday, including HF's offerings. Mostly, to date, the metals I've worked with were pipe and purlin and angle iron, and some small diameter bar stock(< or = 1") and I use my trusty Dewalt chop saw, but a bandsaw would be a definite help. Being economically-minded, I scan Craigslist watching for stuff like that. Sometimes, people will go buy an item like that at HF, use it for one job, and then sell it. The item may be barely used, maybe a bit abused, but usually serviceable for my needs.

Thanks for the tip!

Mark

a few years ago I picked up a bandsaw from Enco with free shipping for less money than the HF one of the same size. When the saw arrived it was badged MSC and is much better quality than I expected and definitely better than the HF one. With MSC folding Enco into their line, check on-line for the current pricing, they have been running Free Shipping Fridays that includes machinery. One thing that I don't like about MSC advertising is the sale email stating "UP-TO" 30% off or whatever. Not all items are on sale like the old Enco sale codes. Whatever saw you decide on, get good quality blades, they make a world of difference.

Mike

a few years ago I picked up a bandsaw from Enco with free shipping for less money than the HF one of the same size. When the saw arrived it was badged MSC and is much better quality than I expected and definitely better than the HF one. With MSC folding Enco into their line, check on-line for the current pricing, they have been running Free Shipping Fridays that includes machinery. One thing that I don't like about MSC advertising is the sale email stating "UP-TO" 30% off or whatever. Not all items are on sale like the old Enco sale codes. Whatever saw you decide on, get good quality blades, they make a world of difference.

Mike
Mike, the quality of the blade makes all the difference in almost everything. I've learned that the hard way too many times. I'll almost always spend more on a blade for that reason. Just makes sense. Thanks for the tip on the Enco bandsaw.

Mark

Getting back to why I think the Enco/MSC band saw is better than the HF and similar units. The pulleys on the MSC are machined (aluminum?) IMHO better than the steel (stamped?) ones on the HF. I have not taken the gear box apart but the MSC is larger rectangular in shape vs. the smaller round one on the HF. The general condition of the cast iron on my particular saw appears to have a better overall finish than the saw at my local HF store. I paid $176 or $179 delivered to my door; I don't know if this sale price has gone the way of the arbor press sale pricing or not, but it's worth a look. I'm sure that my saw would benefit from the saw tuneup that is posted somewhere on this site, but it works OK for me the way it came.

Forget everything I just said about pricing; MSC sent an email with a private Enco 3 day 40% off sale. Just for fun I put the saw in my checkout box, $349 then added the discount code SAVE40. The pricing then changed to over $500 list price, less $189 discount for the "sale price" of $349. For that price, I'd upgrade to one of the larger hydraulic bandsaws.

Do you have a toolpost for your lathe? This old machinist who has been advising me told me to not waste time making my own, since it won't be precisely square unless I put a lot of effort into it. I thought about this for awhile, and asked him what would go wrong if it were a few thou off. He replied that I will be wasting a lot of time during setup to compensate. Since I didn't have any lathe bits at the time, I just fabbed a block out of blacksmithing ends and stick welded it together. I then drilled a hole and put in a couple of screws to hold a broken drill bit. The end was roughed out with a homemade pulley grinder and honed with a sharpening stone. Since that time, I made a real block toolholder and picked up some short HSS bits at a garage sale, but I most reach for the broken drill bit holder. I only break one or two bits a year, but these things last a long time if you mostly just touch them up with the hone. Recently I ruined one by turning hard steel (threw sparks!), but a quick touch with the wheel and a few minutes on the stone fixed it right up. Doesn't matter anyway, since I just broke another drill bit, and now have two more tools to spare.

Do you have a toolpost for your lathe? This old machinist who has been advising me told me to not waste time making my own, since it won't be precisely square unless I put a lot of effort into it. I thought about this for awhile, and asked him what would go wrong if it were a few thou off. He replied that I will be wasting a lot of time during setup to compensate. Since I didn't have any lathe bits at the time, I just fabbed a block out of blacksmithing ends and stick welded it together. I then drilled a hole and put in a couple of screws to hold a broken drill bit. The end was roughed out with a homemade pulley grinder and honed with a sharpening stone. Since that time, I made a real block toolholder and picked up some short HSS bits at a garage sale, but I most reach for the broken drill bit holder. I only break one or two bits a year, but these things last a long time if you mostly just touch them up with the hone. Recently I ruined one by turning hard steel (threw sparks!), but a quick touch with the wheel and a few minutes on the stone fixed it right up. Doesn't matter anyway, since I just broke another drill bit, and now have two more tools to spare.
Eric, yes, it has a toolpost. Thankfully, that's an expense I won't have.

Thanks!

Mark

Back