Lathe thing

Apparently it works and judging by the looks of it that one has been in service for a long time. The fact that the crane and adapter are made specifically for that purpose (and the company is still in business) suggest the product works and without maiming or killing everyone who uses it. Now while I wouldn't put that on a mini-lathe, for the size of lathe it is on seems quite reasonable. If someone actually did the math I'd bet the overturning force is pretty reasonable. To me the weak link is the connection between the adapter and tool holder.

I just looked at their website & they actually make adapters for smaller tool posts which surprised me. I don't see why you would need one of these for lathes smaller than maybe 17x or 16x.

I agree with with jbolt, I'm sure they've thought things through & have tested them. These have been around for a while.

I'm surprised they even make it for a BXA & KDK. Then again it says it only weighs 23 lbs & max load is 500lbs. I wouldn't try it on my little 12x but then again I wouldn't have a need for one anyway.

Wow, you guys have big lathes!

To me the weak link is the connection between the adapter and tool holder.

I agree, that would be the weak link. I did not even catch that it was held in a normal tool holder. Can't even imagine the forces at play, 50 to 75 lbs, a foot and a half or so out. Besides the risk to the lathe, I would worry about the risk to the operator.

How is the eyebolt attached to the 3 jaw?

I just looked at their website & they actually make adapters for smaller tool posts which surprised me. I don't see why you would need one of these for lathes smaller than maybe 17x or 16x.

I agree with with jbolt, I'm sure they've thought things through & have tested them. These have been around for a while.

I'm surprised they even make it for a BXA & KDK. Then again it says it only weighs 23 lbs & max load is 500lbs. I wouldn't try it on my little 12x but then again I wouldn't have a need for one anyway.

Wow, you guys have big lathes!

Its not always the size of the lathe. At some point the age and/or health of the operator comes into play.

I agree, that would be the weak link. I did not even catch that it was held in a normal tool holder.

Looks like with the current offerings the dovetail is cast as part base of the crane eliminating that joint. Much better assembly.

Ok I see now the men at work sign is supporting the tool holder, I take back my earlier comment :confused:

I wouldn't want to use that on anything but a fairly large lathe, but I guess that's what they are for. We had an air operated jib crane that was used to load crankshafts into the crank grinder when I worked at the automotive machine shop. It would be very handy for jobs like that. It was operated via a pressure regulator so that you could basically get the crank to float in the air by balancing the air pressure against the weight of the crank, making it very easy to load into the centers on the grinder. I suspect it wouldn't lift a very heavy load, but I don't think we ever ground any crankshafts that weighed more than about 400 lbs or so.

I certainly do not feel too soft , warm & fuzzy with the thought of the crane assembly tied on to my top slide, But to save old folks like me from heart attacks, hernias, & buggered backs I do not see any faults in having an attachment made which rests the little crane on top of the lathe bed with a bottom clamp and long bolt up through the centre of the lathe bed, it could be made a quick assembly unit,
It is not unknown for lathe beds to recieve a lot of damage through heavy chucks etc being slammed down on the Vees, Not to mention trapped fingers, Once the chuck is lifted up a wooden dedicated chuck holding fixture could be used into which the crane places the chuck, Whence it can be slid along in line with the mandrel nose

Just had a look at the link to Skyhooks website, The range of light lifting cranes they have especially attached to portable workshop lifting units is awesome in their simplicity, For a one man workshop these little cranes would had one been around have saved a friend of mine (One man small workshop) from a ghastly injury, in which he ended up lying injured for twelve hours and never worked again I think they could be a blessing in a small shop

Last edited:
I didn't measure this unit, but the web site listed above shows the assembly is 18" tall and 21" horizontal arm. Seems about right for what I saw on site. It's Rated at 500# max load. Hardly a towering man killer as some have suggested. At least I didn't see any pile of corpses, crushed hard hats, or misc body parts laying about the shop.

They also have a shop built gantry that looks pretty well suited to the heavy lifting they occasionally do. One of the photos below shows it straddling their road diesel ( just opposite the lathe).

The mechanical guys (and gals) maintaining the railroad have been at it now for 35 years or so. They seem competent in keeping their three 102 year old steam locomotives, a diesel road switcher, and a steam powered wrecking crane in operational service. So, I trust their deployment of machinery and maintenance practices. The rolling stock and Steamers originally were used as people movers during the 1915 San Francisco Exposition, then latter saved from the scrap man in the early 1970's by Al Smith, of Orchard Supply fame. The diesel came into inventory around 1980, if I remember correctly. Don't have a photo, but the club members also scratch built a fully operational 5" scale RR construction crane to assist with ROW maintenance and any derailments that might occur. Al brought the RR to his 3000 acre ranch near Davenport and established a non profit trust and land grant to the UCSB to ensure the RR would be maintained and supported in perpetuity, after his passing. Today the RR is operated and maintained as a volunteer organization, supported by the UCSB Engineering department, and a substantial membership of Live steam club members - much like 7 1/2" ga. live steam clubs - only everything here is 19" ga. It is quite an operation, albeit low key, with 1.5 mile of track on the UC owned Swanton ranch property, and always interested in recruiting new members. One of the benefits of membership is the opportunity to OJT into becoming a steam engineer running their locomotives during public run days.

Oh well, Back to hoist... At the time of my visit, I thought the chuck in the photo looked to be around 100 lbs deadweight, more or less. More than I want muscle around at arms length anymore.

One of my lathes is sitting up against a wall.. another 14" lathe is sitting opposite, in the middle of the shop. I suppose one could rig up some sort of floor mount, ala engine stand style, on the backside of either machine, that could hold a vertical post, apon which one could mount the crane part. Still a cool idea I think.

Glenn

IMG_3944.JPG

IMG_3016.JPG

IMG_3023.JPG

IMG_3024.JPG

Just because it has been done that way for 100 years, does not mean it is safe. I'm sure they have load tested them, and are sure of their design, But I cannot imagine a BXA tool post taking that kind of torture. I also cannot imagine Aloris, or any lathe manufacturer saying that kind of force is ok. 500 lb capacity, at almost 2 feet. Almost 1000 ft lbs of torque on a 3/4" X 3/4" projection of cast iron, clamped in a BXA tool holder, on a tool post held down by a 5/8" bolt, clamped to 2 1/8" thick layers of steel (Compound Tee slot), held to the slide by 2 3/8" or so triangular sections.

It may be within the safe limits of all those parts, but still not for me. I would not even think of using the compound to lift the saddle off the ways, much less using the compound to lift a chuck to the spindle.

Back