Lathe thing

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Thinking about making something like this for my QCTP on my lathe. Not sure how the chain lift works. Some sort of sprocket that winds the chain up and down from the handwheel, I suppose. Way cool mini crane!

This one is hard at work in the Car Shops of the Swanton Pacific 19" ga volunteer railroad, a bit north of Santa Cruz on the coast road.

IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG
Glenn

That one is made by Sky Hook, or at least it looks identical. Pretty cool that they have models that mount directly on a QCTP. They're still in business & they pop up on ebay from time to time.

http://www.skyhookmfr.com/model8500.html

Reactions: Guv
Well, you need to do something? That chuck is a tad on the heavy side. Hard to wrestle that that size chuck without breaking your back! But then that crane thing is not light either and awkward to place in its anchored spot. And now the part I would never want to do on my lathe. I would never try the crane set-up as shown in the pic. That is way too much stress on the carriage assembly. It’s not designed for that…Dave

If the QCTP is fixed to a T slot in the top slide, it is only a matter of time before the cast iron gives up the ghost, and the whole lot crashes to the floor, probably wrecking the lathe, and with any luck, not killing someone in the process! A VERY dangerous set up which will fail with no prior warning because it is a casting. At the very least this will wreck the dovetail on the QCTP. If anyone set this up in my shop, I would kick his backside all the way to the employment exchange!

Not on my lathe, I know some folks in Santa Cruz aren't the brightest candles on the cake, but what were they thinking

I would mount a short piece of track with a trolley and hoist over the lathe with enough travel to be able to load and unload from a cart. Other than that, an engine hoist would work.

Back