Lathe set up

jonathan01

Active User
Registered
Hey, I know I've seen this on here somewhere already, but I can't find it.

I just got my PM1340 in, and I am looking for how to mount it and level it. It has two seperate base stands that the lathe bolts to. The lathe it self has 4 bolts on the headstock end, and two blots on the tailstock end, and I think the base is the same. I plan to anchor the bases in to the concrete slab. Are adjustments for leveling done by using double nuts on the bases? So, the bases would be seating on a nut instead of the concrete.

So, it would be basically leveling the bases and bolting the lathe to the top of the bases. I know i need to actually level it by puting the level across the ways at both ends.

Any help would be a great help. I plan to start setting the lathe up this week.

Thanks,
Jonathan

You certainly could bolt it down but I think most of us simply use leveling feet and leave it sit on the slab.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/search.php?searchid=122761 was a quick search on this forum for "leveling feet"

If there was a compelling reason for securing it I'd likely double nut level it on anchors and then hydraulic grout under it.

Steve

Jonathan,

Machinery is not normally bolted down but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to do so. As far as the double nut thing goes, city lamp posts and street light support posts are a good example of how that's done. They have studs set in concrete with the flange on the base of the post double nutted to them. If you do it with your lathe, be sure to torque all of the nuts evenly so the bed doesn't twist. I think the use of a torque wrench would be appropriate.

Tom

Steve, I was searching lathe set up, mounting, install, but nuver search leveling feet though.

I like the idea about double nuting it, and puttuing grout under it.

Tom, I will torgue them down.

I was going to bolt it down, so it hopfully stops some vibration, and stay level for a long time.

Thank

Im not in favor of bolting down either --- and my 2 buddies arent either (both of them long time machinists)

First off, that PM is a nice heavy lathe and not likely to dance around the floor.
Another is ideally you need to check level fairly often - around here as the soil drys out or wets the foundation will shift enough to affect the level.
With leveling feet its much easier to accomplish level

Take a piece of scrap 3/8" or so plate. saw up some approximately 2x2" pads, drill a 'dimple' in the center with about a 1/2" drill for the foot end to seat in...

I dont think I would bolt a lathe down to the floor. I have done so in the past, and found it wasnt worth the effort. Not knowing just what machine you have, or you reasons to why, Im sure you have your own reasons.

I had done it way back when, trying to dampen vibrations, and hopfully keep the machine level. I didnt manage to do either. The 12X37 import lathe had separate cabnets that were heavy sheet metal at best. They where flimsy, and bolting the lathe down in attempt to curb vibrations proved to be a wasted effort.

I thought, ok it should keep the lathe level over the long haul, but dont think that panned out so well either. In my case, the cabnets had these pockets built into the base, this made getting at the ajustment bolts a royal pain.

I ended up just doing pretty much as Pacer has mentioned. I just bandsawed round stock to 5/8 thinkness, faced both sides, and drilled a dimple into each one. That seemed to work just fine.

Another thing worth mentioning is what if you wanted or needed to relocate your machine, even a few feet to make room for other machinery? If your machine is bolted down, then adds to the problem.

I thought Id kill too birds with one stone when I did it. And feel I missed on both accounts. Maybe if the machine was sitting on heavy cast iron cabnets, the out come probably would have been much different.

Just my thoughts

I will look into the leveling feet some more. I just didn't knoow how much the lathe would move. I know it's about 1400 lbs.

Thanks

I would not bolt it down, but I think there is some merit to tying the back of it to the wall behind it.
There have been a couple of times mine has seemed a bit tippy toward the front.

I would not bolt it down, but I think there is some merit to tying the back of it to the wall behind it.
There have been a couple of times mine has seemed a bit tippy toward the front.

I am not sure if it is going to be close enough to the wall, but I can make some kind of angle bracket to fit over the mount pads or something and anchor that to the floor just stop it from tiping all the way over.

Which leveling pads would yall recommend for the PM 1340. http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1340new.html

I have been looking though all the leveling feet, and getting too confused. 1/2" studs, 5/8" studs, 2" pads, 4" pads, 500lbs, 2000lbs, 6000lbs? I just don"t know which ones. I need 6 of them, and i am looking in the $20 to $30 each range.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Back